Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
BBR is thrilled to present this expanded and remastered edition of TP in a deluxe super jewel case with brand new interviews with Valerie Simpson and Cynthia Biggs El and five bonus tracks.
Out of stock
• Having begun his career as the main vocalist for Philly Soul pioneers, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, Teddy Pendergrass maintained an assured presence that always sounded like it was in partnership with the music. It’s this kind of conviction that would continue on through Pendergrass’ solo work that would, in turn, stand out as one of the most truly distinctive voices of Philly Soul. Pendergrass would continue this successful relationship on Philadelphia International from 1977-1983 before signing with Elektra/Asylum Records with 1980’s TP LP giving him his biggest commercial success of that decade.
• First single ‘CAN’T WE TRY’ (R&B #3/Pop #52) is quintessential quiet storm with a beautiful, hushed vocal performance from Pendergrass and the classic ‘LOVE T.K.O.’ (R&B #2/Pop #44) – with Cecil Womack on co-writing duties – continues the urgency of his most sensual recordings.
• ‘TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS TONIGHT’ (also included here in its rare 12” Disco Remix) features Stephanie Mills in an ecstatic vocal interplay with Pendergrass whilst their additional duet of Peabo Bryson’s ‘FEEL THE FIRE’ is stunning. ‘I JUST CALLED TO SAY’ is replete with joy and total conviction framed by bustling funk and album closer ‘LET ME LOVE YOU’ (co-written by Philly Soul staples McFadden and Whitehead) is a surprisingly stark, harsher affair. Teddy’s cover of Ashford & Simpson’s ‘IS IT STILL GOOD TO YA’ was produced by the duo and brought out a more sexually charged side of the composition.
• This new BBR edition of TP also includes five bonus tracks including the rare long version of Teddy’s classic ballad ‘THIS GIFT OF LIFE’, originally released as the flip side of ‘CAN’T WE TRY’.
• BBR is thrilled to present this expanded and remastered edition of TP in a deluxe super jewel case with brand new interviews with Valerie Simpson and Cynthia Biggs El and five bonus tracks.
1. IS IT STILL GOOD TO YA
2. TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS TONIGHT with STEPHANIE MILLS
3. I JUST CALLED TO SAY
4. CAN’T WE TRY
5. FEEL THE FIRE (Duet with STEPHANIE MILLS)
6. GIRL YOU KNOW
7. LOVE T.K.O.
8. LET ME LOVE YOU
9. THIS GIFT OF LIFE (12” LONG VERSION)
10. TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS TONIGHT with STEPHANIE MILLS – (12” DISCO VERSION)
11. CAN’T WE TRY (SINGLE VERSION)
12. LOVE T.K.O. (SINGLE VERSION)
13. IS IT STILL GOOD TO YA (SINGLE VERSION)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.