• NEW REMASTERED EDITION OF THE CLASSIC 1970 ALBUM BY THE LEGENDARY JOHN McLAUGHLIN, JOHN SURMAN, KARL BERGER, STU MARTIN & DAVE HOLLAND
• REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL DAWN RECORDS MASTER TAPES
• FULLY RESTORED ARTWORK AND LINER NOTES BY SID SMITH
• REVIEWS IN “UNCUT”, “MOJO”, “RECORD COLLECTOR”, “CLASSIC ROCK” & “PROG” MAGAZINES
• COVERAGE ON RELEVANT WEBSITES & FANZINES
Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the first ever UK individual CD release of a newly re-mastered edition of the 1971 album by legendary musicians John McLaughlin, John Surman, Karl Berger, Stu Martin & Dave Holland.
The product of a recording session in New York City in 1970, “Where Fortune Smiles” is one of the milestone albums to be recorded at a time when the divisions between the worlds of jazz and rock were less defined and albums such as Bitches Brew by Miles Davis and the work of Tony Williams’ Lifetime pointed a new direction in music.
Originally released on Pye Records’ “Progressive” imprint Dawn Records, Where Fortune Smiles was recorded fresh on the heels of John McLaughlin and Dave Holland’s work with Miles Davis, John Surman’s work with Mike Westbrook and The Trio (with Stu Martin) – original vinyl copies of the record now command large sums from collectors.
This Esoteric Recordings edition has been newly re-mastered from the original Dawn master tapes and features
an illustrated booklet which restores the original album artwork and insert and an essay by aficionado Sid Smith.
1. GLANCING BACKWARDS (FOR JUNIOR)
2. EARTHBOUND HEARTS
3. WHERE FORTUNE SMILES
4. NEW PLACE, OLD PLACE