Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
The complete, legendary recordings made by Ahmad Jamal with the guitarist Ray Crawford in Trio and Quintet context.
Out of stock
‘Listen to the way Jamal uses space. He lets it go so that you can feel the rhythm section and the rhythm section can feel you. It’s not crowded.
Ahmad is one of my favourites. I live until he makes another record.’ Miles Davis, 1958
• The complete, legendary recordings made by Ahmad Jamal with the guitarist Ray Crawford in Trio and Quintet context. Jamal’s trios are considered to be amongst the most important in the history of jazz, creating unique articulations of space, openness and light, which still seem so far ahead of their time and which made such a profound impression on Miles Davis and his arranger, Gil Evans.
• Jamal’s art embodies discipline, restraint, refinement and subtlety and furthermore he swings. Miles appreciated the level of intensity Jamal achieved within such a subtle framework.
• Compositions such as ‘New Rhumba’ were transcribed note for note by Gil Evans for ‘Miles Ahead’. “I was delighted, ” recalled Jamal “We needed that kind of support at the time Miles came along and paid us that compliment.”
• Our edition comprises the albums “Chamber Music of The New Jazz”, “The Ahmad Jamal Trio”, “The Piano Scene of Ahmad Jamal” (with material recorded between 1951 and 1955) and “Listen to the Ahmad Jamal Quintet” (recorded in 1960).
• Bonus items include the Miles Davis / Gil Evans recording of Jamal’s ‘New Rhumba’ for the landmark 1957 album “Miles Ahead” and Gil Evans’ ‘Joy Spring’ which features some joyously melodic guitar from Crawford.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.