The Unmistakeable Sound of Independence since 1978 | Call to order: +44 (0)20 8996 3120
• ‘Ten Plagues’ is an award winning one-man song cycle written especially for Marc Almond by celebrated playwright Mark Ravenhill (‘Shopping And F**king’, ‘Mother Clap’s Molly House’ and ‘The Cut’) with the accomplished musical dramatist Conor Mitchell.
• ‘Ten Plagues’ is presented here in a special 2-disc package including an all new studio recording of the complete work as well as a DVD of the live stage show filmed at the historic Wilton’s Music Hall in East London.
• ‘Ten Plagues’ tells the intense story of one man’s survival through the great plague of London in 1665 whilst drawing poetic parallels to more modern epidemics.
• Marc Almond plays a character wracked by the loss of friends, lovers, family and sanity in a city in the midst of crisis and disease. He tries to hold on to his humanity despite mourning, grief, despair and the physical isolation that the plague necessitates.
• ‘Ten Plagues’ in turn conjures up our reactions to more contemporary pandemics: for example, the fear, hysteria and prejudice about the first victims of AIDS, at the outset referred to as a ‘gay plague’; those who suffered were afraid, isolated and made to feel outcasts of society.
• The piece was performed at the Traverse Theatre at The Edinburgh International Fringe Festival in 2011 and received the prestigious ‘Fringe First Award’.
• Marc Almond stated in 2014; “if I could perform a piece such as Ten Plagues, I could do anything. Nothing would daunt me again.” And so it proved, for ‘Ten Plagues’ was indeed another important turning point in Marc Almond’s diverse and acclaimed career. It gave him the confidence and credibility to tackle all new dramatic stage roles such as the part of Seneca in ‘Poppea’ (a reworking of the Coronation of Poppea by Monteverdi) performed in 2012 at Le Châtelet Opera House in Paris and, in 2014, to act in a collaboration with the award winning composer John Harle called ‘The Tyburn Tree’.
NB: This title is released July 7 and will not be dispatched before this date.
DISC ONE: STUDIO RECORDING CD
2. THE COMET
3. WITHOUT A WORD
4. TO DREAM
6. THE PIT
8. BY DAY
9. A NEW LAW
10. SEEING YOU
11. THE WIG
12. THE HERMIT
14. THE QUAKER
16. TEN PLAGUES
TEN PLAGUES : THE LIVE STAGE SHOW DVD
FILMED AT WILTON’S MUSIC HALL
(SAME TRACKS AS ABOVE)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.