Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
BBR is very proud to present SOUL MASTER by EDWIN STARR, expertly remastered and complete with extensive liner notes and several bonus tracks. Essential listening for all R&B, Soul and Funk fans out there!
Out of stock
• EDWIN STARR hailed from Nashville, Tennessee and is best remembered for his rasping Vietnam protest song ‘War’ from 1970.After a stint as vocalist for Bill Doggett’s touring band Starr was able to secure a solo recording deal with Detroit’s Ric-Tic Records in 1965 and immediately gained chart success with his self- penned hit ‘Agent Double-O-Soul’ (R&B #8/Pop #21). More Ric-Tic hits followed before Berry Gordy bought out Starr’s contract in 1967 and took him and his music to the fabled Motown imprint, making the James Brown and Stax influenced singer the rawest vocalist on the celebrated label.
• SOUL MASTER was Starr’s debut album and was released on Motown’s Gordy imprint in 1968. With soul music in the 60’s, and especially with Motown, the emphasis was on singles, so the album did not chart but does boast a number of R&B hit singles. These include the aforementioned ‘Agent Double-O-Soul’ and Starr’s other top ten Ric-Tic release, 1966’s ‘Stop Her On Sight (S.O.S)’ (R&B #9/Pop #48/UK #35), as well as ‘Headline News’ (Pop #84). Two more singles, issued on Gordy, charted in the US during the same year as the album release. These were ‘I Am The Man For You Baby’ (R&B #45/Pop #112) and ‘Way Over There’ (Pop #119).
• SOUL MASTER delivers the classic 60’s Motown styles with mid to up-tempo songs either swinging, shuffling or stomping their way to a rapid and satisfying conclusion (only one track is over three minutes). On this Motown record however, Starr’s rough hewn vocal chops interpreting lyrics by Motown greats Smokey Robinson and Norman Whitfield among others, add punch and weight to the recordings, unlike some of the more successful Motown artists who took a softer approach.
• Included as bonus tracks on this release are many of the singles and b-sides, recorded both with Ric-Tic and Motown, that Starr released from ’65 to ’67 that were not included on his debut release. These include 1966’s ‘Back Street’ (R&B #33), ‘It’s My Turn Now’ and ‘You’re My Mellow.’
• BBR is very proud to present SOUL MASTER, expertly remastered and complete with extensive liner notes and several bonus tracks. Essential listening for all R&B, Soul and Funk fans out there!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.