Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
ALLAN CLARKE’s Sideshow Solo Recordings 1973 – 1976 contains 2 discs – disc one of our compilation contains his first two LPs, and disc Two presents his third LP plus the bonus singles.
• Allan Clarke, of course, made his name as lead singer with The Hollies, Manchester’s answer to The Beatles, who enjoyed huge success across the 60s and early 70s.
• In 1972, he embarked on a solo career on Epic Records with his debut album My Real Name Is ‘Arold (a reference to his true Christian name – Allan being his middle name). The following years, he moved to EMI and stayed for four years and three albums, which have been out-of-print on CD for some time.
• The first of Allan’s EMI albums, sported a Magritte-styled cover and opened with ‘Complete Controllable Man’. Clarke produced the album himself, sang and played guitar, with help from guitarist Ray Glynn and keyboard player Kirk Duncan (both ex-The Mirage and Jawbone), Elton John’s bassist Dee Murray and legendary session drummer Tony Newman. It spawned the single ‘Who?’.
• Newman and Glynn stayed for 1974’s self-titled album, with bass courtesy of the talented Herbie Flowers (who’d played with Lou Reed among many others) and the ubiquitous pianist Peter Robinson (ex-Quatermass). From it, ‘Sideshow’ was issued as a 45.
• After a non-album single – a cover version of Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Born To Run’ – in 1975, Allan returned with his third and final EMI album, I’ve Got Time, in 1976. It opened with another Springsteen song, ‘Blinded By The Light’ – indeed, the LP consisted entirely of cover versions. ‘Living In Love’ (originally by The Sutherland Brothers) was chosen as a 7”.
• Disc One of our compilation contains the first two LPs. Disc Two presents the third LP plus the bonus singles.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.