The Unmistakeable Sound of Independence since 1978 | Call to order: +44 (0)20 8996 3120
Founded by highly successful songwriter Les Reed in 1968, the Chapter One label had a five- year run before eventually succumbing to the law of diminishing chart returns.
Despite scoring a handful of hits (step forward Gerry Monroe and, er, Leeds United F. C.), their most enduring releases have turned out to be a swathe of singles that met with little success at the time, but which are now in great demand amongst collectors of late 60s/early 70s UK psychedelic pop and associated genres.
A few tracks have found their way onto unauthorised compilations over the last few years, but Shapes and Shadows – taken from the masters, and with the full co-operation of Les Reed and Chapter One – proudly assembles these recordings in one place for the first time.
Complete with rare photos, quotes and the full story behind the various bands as well as the label itself, Shapes and Shadows is a fascinating look at the soft white underbelly of the British pop industry during the late 60s/early 70s as well as an essential listen for genre aficionados.
￼RE-PRESS: CD ORIGINALLY RELEASED IN 2014
1. WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT – Putney Bridge
2. LUCKY SUNDAY – Episode Six
3. LIFETIME – The Bliss
4. THE ELEPHANT SONG – Philwit & Pegasus
5. SPRING NEVER CAME TWICE – Jason Cord
6. MOZART VERSUS THE REST – Episode Six
7. YOUR TURN TO DIE – Putney Bridge
8. THE RACE – Christopher
9. TURN AROUND – Sad People
10. LOVERS’ CONGREGATION – The Matchmakers
11. YOU’VE GOT YOUR TROUBLES – The Californians
12. MR UNIVERSE – Episode Six
13. SHARKEY – Christopher
14. CRY MY HEART – The March Hare
15. MARJORY DAW – Morning Glory
16. COURTYARDS OF CASTILE – The Bliss
17. BROTHER JOHN – Brother John
18. LONELY MAN – Sad People
19. JACK D’OR – Episode Six
20. THE MEANING OF LOVE – Putney Bridge
21. THANK YOU BABY FOR COMING – The Matchmakers
22. MUNDAY STREET – Morning Glory
23. WITH MY EYES CLOSED – The March Hare
24. GENTLEMEN OF THE PARK – Episode Six
25. BIG BARE BEAT – Les Reed
26. SHAPES AND SHADOWS – Tandem
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.