Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
The new 2 LP edition of The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper’s Feast, expanded to a double album for the first time.
Out of stock
Deep Purple were originally signed in 1968 to Parlophone Records, before switching to EMI’s progressive imprint, Harvest, the following year. Purple Records was set up in 1971 to release future Deep Purple’s records, from “Machine Head” onwards. It was also home to various side projects from the band members, including artists that they had discovered and were developing. The label would eventually become home to solo releases from Jon Lord, David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes, as well as early releases from Michael Des Barres’ Silverhead and Ronnie James Dio’s original band, Elf.
After an extensive campaign of expanded reissues from the resurrected Purple Records by Deep Purple’s Jon Lord and from Glenn Hughes, Silverhead, Elf and Hard Stuff, Cherry Red are proud to announce the new 2 LP edition of The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper’s Feast, expanded to a double album for the first time.
After leaving Purple in 1973, Roger Glover was asked to compose music to the illustrated book of the same name by William Plomer and Alan Aldridge. His first major project since leaving Purple, Roger was able to enlist many top names to help him realise his vision, including Glenn Hughes, who was then in Deep Purple, as well as Elf’s Micky Lee Soule and Ronnie James Dio.
As well as the remastered original album, it now features a second LP that includes demos and alternative mixes, the non-album single ‘Little Chalk Blue’ featuring future Uriah Heep singer John Lawton, plus excerpts from the rare Butterfly Ball Radio Special; a 1974 promo only release where the album’s creator and producer, Roger Glover, discusses and explains the story behind the creation of this project.
Presenter in a gatefold sleeve replicating the original artwork with illustrated lyrics, Malcolm Dome has written an essay based on interviews with Roger, and pressed on strictly limited edition Purple vinyl.
ROGER GLOVER AND FRIENDS:
“THE BUTTERFLY BALL AND THE GRASSHOPPER’S FEAST”
2. GET READY (featuring Glenn Hughes)
3. SAFFRON DORMOUSE AND LIZZY BEE (featuring Helen Chappelle & Barry St. John)
4. HARLEQUIN HARE (featuring Neil Lancaster)
5. OLD BLIND MOLE (featuring John Goodison)
6. MAGICIAN MOTH
7. NO SOLUTION (featuring Mickey Lee Soule)
8. BEHIND THE SMILE (featuring David Coverdale)
9. FLY AWAY (featuring Liza Strike)
11. SITTING IN A DREAM (featuring Ronnie James Dio)
13. SIR MAXIMUS MOUSE (featuring Eddie Hardin)
14. DREAMS OF SIR BEDIVERE
15. TOGETHER AGAIN (featuring Tony Ashton)
16. WATCH OUT FOR THE BAT (featuring John Gustafson)
17. LITTLE CHALK BLUE (featuring John Lawton)
18. THE FEAST
19. LOVE IS ALL (featuring Ronnie James Dio)
20. HOMEWARD (featuring Ronnie James Dio)
SIDE THREE: BONUS TRACKS
1. LOVE IS ALL (DEMO VERSION)
2. DAWN (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
3. HARLEQUIN HARE (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
4. MAGICIAN MOTH (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
5. NO SOLUTION (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
6. WAITING (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
7. FLY AWAY (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
8. ARANEA (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
9. LITTLE CHALK BLUE (7” SINGLE 1975)
THE ROGER GLOVER BUTTERFLY BALL RADIO SPECIAL – 1974
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.