On Bob Stanley’s label, following up the acclaimed Popcorn Girls (“this enchanting… enlightening collection is an indispensable window on a rarely celebrated scene” – The Arts Desk) here is a truly exotic mix of soul R&B doo wop and atmospheric instrumentals.
This is Croydon Municipal’s third retrospective of the Popcorn scene that has run parallel to Northern Soul since its inception in Europe in 1969. It’s a delicious and unique blend of sounds from the US, France, Italy based around a moody, shuffling cha cha beat that has recently developed an international following on the mod and soul scenes.
• Most tracks available for the first time on CD
• Gorgeous artwork
• Thorough sleevenotes by Saint Etienne’s Bob Stanley
• In demand mod, soul and 60s club favourites
• Along with a glass of brandy, the perfect accompaniment for a Spring evening in.
N.B. This title is released 20th April and will not be dispatched before this date.
1. CALL OF THE JUNGLE – Carl Stevens
2. THE RIDDLE OF THE PAPAWHOS – Danny Staton
3. COCCODRILLO – Ornella Vanoni
4. FORBIDDEN ISLAND – The Islanders
5. PU-CHUN-GA – Elena Madera
6. TIME OLE STORY – Gary US Bonds
7. ANGELINA – Eddie Calvert
8. ARABIA – The Delcos
9. MAINTENANT IL TELEPHONE – Gillian Hills
10. VOODOO DRUMS – Les Elgart
11. AMICI MIEI – Don Powell
12. UMBE – Jack Medell
13. AHBE CASABE – Marti Barris
14. TOUT LES GENS – Sylvie Vartan
15. CAFE BOHEMIAN – The Enchanters
16. CAT WALK – Jack Costanzo
17. LITTLE INDIAN GIRL – Billy & The Moonlighters
18. THE WEB – Abie ‘Available’ Baker
19. UN P’TIT BEGUIN – Caterina Valente
20. TABOU – The Jokers
21. ON A TROPICAL ISLAND – Anna Valentino
22. TAKE MY LIPS – Mr Acker Bilk
Track listing as above.