• Kicking off an extensive reissue campaign drawn across Graham Bonnet’s extensive career is “No Parole From Rock ‘n’ Roll”, the debut album from Alcatrazz, the band he fronted from 1983 – 1987.
• Having originally started his musical journey in the late 1960s with The Marbles, followed by a solo career throughout the 1970s, Graham Bonnet found mainstream success after replacing Ronnie James Dio in Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow. Featuring the hit singles ‘All Night Long’ and ‘Since You Been Gone’, Graham fronted Rainbow for their 1979 breakthrough album “Down To Earth”. Leaving Rainbow after their headline appearance at the inaugural Monsters Of Rock festival in 1980, he enjoyed solo success with the top 10 album “Line Up” in 1981, before briefly fronting the Michael Schenker Group for 1982’s “Assault Attack”. Alcatrazz formed the following year.
• Alcatrazz’s line-up was completed by Jimmy Waldo on keyboards, Gary Shea on bass and Jan Uvena on drums, “No Parole From Rock ‘n’ Roll” is also notable for the first mainstream success of Swedish lead guitarist Yngwie J. Malmsteen, having previously appeared on the eponymous LP by LA rockers Steeler. Then only 20 years old, Malmsteen and Bonnet created a strong musical partnership and writing team, particularly on the singles ‘Island In The Sun’ and ‘Hiroshima Mon Amour’, both of which received heavy rotation on MTV.
• ‘Hiroshima Mon Amour’ cemented the group’s huge following in Japan, where they recorded the live album “Live Sentence”, also due to be reissued on HNE Recordings. Malmsteen left in 1984 to pursue a highly successful solo career with “Yngwie J. Malmsteen’s Rising Force”, to be replaced by Steve Vai for the second Alcatrazz album, “Disturbing The Peace”.
• As well as liner notes from Classic Rock magazine’s Malcolm Dome, this expanded reissue features instrumental demos of the album, giving a unique insight into the development of the record. Graham Bonnet will begin an extensive tour in the new year.
For fans of: Rainbow, Yngwie J. Malmsteen
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.