The Unmistakeable Sound of Independence since 1978 | Call to order: +44 (0)20 8996 3120
• Despite losing founder member Kelly Johnson following 1984’s “Play Dirty”, it appeared as if things were looking up for the all-girl metal band, signing to major label Mercury in the States in 1985. Expanding to a five piece, with Jackie Bodimead on vocals, their more US radio-friendly sound on ‘Running Wild’ unfortunately failed to make an impact in America, or even get a release in their homeland (but is now available on CD for the very first time as HNECD048). Scaling back to a four piece, they signed to GWR, also home to fellow Bronze Records refugees Motorhead.
• Another move to recapture their original, grittier sound was Vic Maile’s return to the production chair, famed for his work with Motorhead, Guns N’ Roses and Hawkwind, among many others.
• 1986’s “Nightmare At Maple Cross” found the quartet of founder members Kim McAulliffe on lead vocals and rhythm guitar with Denise Dufort on drums, joined by Cris Bonacci on lead guitar and Gil Weston-Jones on bass.
• Although this record shows a return to their more heavy metal roots after the very US-centric “Running Wild”, their cover of Mud’s ‘Tiger Feet’ demonstrates their glam-rock influences, as well as their ever present sense of humour.
• “Nightmare At Maple Cross” features an expanded booklet and new liner notes by Classic Rock and Metal Hammer’s Malcolm Dome based on new interviews with the band’s Kim McAulliffe. Girlschool’s “Take A Bite” (HNECD070) and “Running Wild” (HNECD048) are also available on HNE.
NIGHTMARE AT MAPLE CROSS (1986)
1. ALL DAY ALL NIGHT
2. PLAY WITH FIRE
3. DANGER SIGN
4. NEVER TOO LATE
5. TIGER FEET
6. BACK FOR MORE
7. LET’S GO CRAZY
8. YOU’VE GOT ME (UNDER YOUR SPELL)
9. LET’S BREAK OUT
10. TURN IT UP
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.