Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
As part of its much acclaimed anthology series, SoulMusic Records is very proud to present “Livin’ A Life Of Love – The Jive Anthology, 1986-1991” a wonderful retrospective covering much-loved, Jamaican-born, British-based Ruby Turner’s five-year tenure with Jive Records.
• As part of its much acclaimed anthology series, SoulMusic Records is very proud to present “Livin’ A Life Of Love – The Jive Anthology, 1986-1991” a wonderful retrospective covering much-loved, Jamaican-born, British-based Ruby Turner’s five-year tenure with Jive Records.
• Ruby spent her formative years in Birmingham and began her recording career in 1980, cutting singles for the independent Sunflower label. Building a reputation for herself as one of the foremost singers and performers on the British soul scene, Ruby signed with Jive Records, cutting her first LP, “Women Hold Up Half The Sky” in 1986 which included her Billy Ocean-produced duet with Jive label-mate Jonathan Butler on a cover of The Staple Singers’ 1973 hit, ‘If You’re Ready (Come Go With Me)’. The LP yielded three further UK charted singles including ‘In My Life (It’s Better To Be In Love)’, written and produced by Monte Moir (formerly of The Time); a rare extended version of the track is included here along with the 1987 charted single version of ‘I’d Rather Go Blind’, a constant show-stopper in Ruby’s live shows.
• Lovingly compiled by renowned US musicologist and writer Justin Kantor (who provided stellar liner notes with extensive 2017 quotes from Ruby herself), this 2-CD set includes six tracks from the soulful singer’s 1988 album “The Motown Songbook” along with seven tracks from her 1989 set, “Paradise” including the US No. 1 R&B hit, ‘It’s Gonna Be Alright’. The anthology also features six tracks from Ruby’s final Jive LP, “The Other Side” with production by Womack & Womack and Hula & K. Fingers.
• Rarities that will please Ruby’s steadfast global following include ‘Another One Night Stand’, previously available as a bonus track on a Japanese version of “Paradise”; the Brixton Bass Mix of ‘It’s Gonna Be Alright’; the Da Posse Mix of ‘The Other Side’; and the New 7” Edit of ‘It’s A Cryin’ Shame’. Still very active as a live performer (often with the famed Jools Holland Orchestra) and as a recording artist with her own label, Ruby remains one of Britain’s most enduring soul singers and this anthology showcases her stellar legacy as such.
DISC ONE: I’D RATHER GO BLIND
1. IF YOU’RE READY (COME GO WITH ME) – duet with
2. I’M IN LOVE
3. BYE BABY
4. I’D RATHER GO BLIND (1987 SINGLE)
5. IN MY LIFE (IT’S BETTER TO BE IN LOVE)(EXTENDED VERSION)
6. ONLY WOMEN BLEED
7. HURTING INSIDE
8. I’M LIVIN’ A LIFE OF LOVE
9. SIGNED, SEALED, DELIVERED (I’M YOURS) (EXTENDED MIX)
10. NOWHERE TO RUN (NOWHERE TO HIDE)
11. JUST MY IMAGINATION (RUNNING AWAY WITH ME) – with The Temptations
12. BABY I NEED YOUR LOVIN’ – with The Four Tops
13. WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKENHEARTED – featuring Jimmy Ruffin
14. THE TRACKS OF MY TEARS
15. STILL WATERS RUN DEEP
16. STEP IN MY SHOES
DISC TWO: IT’S GONNA BE ALRIGHT
1. IT’S GONNA BE ALRIGHT
2. PARADISE (RADIO EDIT)
3. IT’S A CRYIN’ SHAME (NEW 7” EDIT)
5. EVERYTIME I BREATHE
6. SEE ME
7. THE VIBE IS RIGHT
8. THE OTHER SIDE (DA’ POSSE MIX)
9. RUMOURS (CLUB MIX)
10. A LITTLE BIT MORE
11. MERRY GO ROUND
12. PROVOKING (LOVE STROKIN’)
13. ANOTHER ONE NIGHT STAND
14. IT’S YOU MY HEART BEATS FOR
15. IT’S GONNA BE ALRIGHT (BRIXTON BASS MIX)
16. IT’S A CRYIN’ SHAME (UK 7” REMIX)