Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
£10.95Released May 21, 2021.
There are few artists in country music more highly praised, or influential, as Lefty Frizzell. With a vocal styling often imitated but never matched, he found one of his greater advocates in Merle Haggard though musicians such as Keith Whitley, Johnny Rodriguez and Randy Travis were amongst others who also acknowledged his influence on their work.
• There are few artists in country music more highly praised, or influential, as Lefty Frizzell. With a vocal styling often imitated but never matched, he found one of his greater advocates in Merle Haggard though musicians such as Keith Whitley, Johnny Rodriguez and Randy Travis were amongst others who also acknowledged his influence on their work.
• The son of an oil field worker, William Orville Frizzell was born in Corsicana, Texas on 31st March 1928 but raised in Dorado, Arkansas when his family moved there shortly after his birth.
• In a 25 year recording career, he gave country some of its most iconic recordings, adding a highly distinctive, vowel-bending singing style to the honky-tonk sounds of his native Texas. But with success came the demons and Lefty Frizzell was also one of the music’s most tragic figures.
• He paid the price for the years of heavy drinking and this, combined with high blood pressure, led to him suffering a massive stroke. He died on 19th July 1975. He was just 47 years old.
• Seven years later, his considerable contribution to country music was recognised in his induction to Nashville’s Country Music Hall of Fame.
• In 1964 the “Saginaw Michigan” album reached No. 2 in the album charts and the title track spent four weeks at No. 1 in the singles chart remaining there for 26 weeks.
• ‘The “Sad Side of Love” (1965) and “Puttin’ On’” (1967) appear on a UK CD for the first time.
• This fabulous release also features 16 Bonus Tracks that were released as singles between 1964 and 1971.
DISC ONE: SAGINAW MICHIGAN
1. SAGINAW MICHIGAN
3. WHAT GOOD DID YOU GET (OUT OF BREAKING MY HEART)
4. THERE’S NO FOOD IN THIS HOUSE
5. WHEN IT RAINS THE BLUES
6. HELLO TO HIM (GOODBYE TO ME)
7. JAMES RIVER
8. I’M NOT THE MAN I’M SUPPOSED TO BE
9. THROUGH THE EYES OF A FOOL
10. I WAS COMING HOME TO YOU
11. DON’T LET HER SEE ME CRY
12. LONELY HEART
THE SAD SIDE OF LOVE
13. SHE’S GONE GONE GONE
14. RUNNING INTO MEMORIES OF YOU
15. I DON’T TRUST YOU ANYMORE
16. PREPARATIONS TO BE BLUE
18. LOVE LOOKS GOOD ON YOU
20. IT’S BAD (WHEN IT’S THATAWAY)
21. HOW FAR DOWN CAN I GO
22. I CAN TELL
23. A LITTLE UNFAIR
24. WOMAN, LET ME SING YOU A SONG
DISC TWO: PUTTIN’ ON
1. LITTLE OLD WINE DRINKER ME
2. GET THIS STRANGER OUT OF ME
3. YOU GOTTA BE PUTTIN’ ME ON
4. ALMOST PERSUADED
5. WHEN THE ROOSTER LEAVES THE YARD
6. ANYTHING YOU CAN SPARE
7. A PRAYER ON YOUR LIPS IS LIKE FREEDOM IN YOUR HANDS
8. YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE PRESENT TO WIN
9. I JUST COULDN’T SEE THE FOREST (FOR THE TREES)
10. MONEY TREE
11. HEART (DON’T LOVE HER ANYMORE)
12. THE RIDER
13. MAKE THAT ONE FOR THE ROAD A CUP OF COFFEE
14. MAMA! (1966 VERSION)
15. WRITING ON THE WALL
16. EVERYTHING KEEPS COMING BACK (BUT YOU)
17. A SONG FROM A LONELY HEART
18. WHEN THE GRASS GROWS GREEN AGAIN
19. WASTED WAY OF LIFE
20. AN ARTICLE FROM LIFE
21. ONLY WAY TO FLY
22. SHE BROUGHT LOVE SWEET LOVE
23. WATERMELON TIME IN GEORGIA
24. OUT OF YOU
25. I MUST BE GETTING OVER YOU
26. WHAT AM I GONNA DO
27. HONKY TONK STARDUST COWBOY