The Unmistakeable Sound of Independence since 1978 | Call to order: +44 (0)20 8996 3120
• The two albums in this collection, “Ladies’ Choice” (1984) and “My Very Special Guests” (1979), both provide a variety of guests in the company of the Possum, as this artist was affectionately named.
• One of the original intentions of “Ladies’ Choice” was to pair George Jones with, mainly, several up and coming female singers although ironically, its biggest success came with its only solo track ‘She’s My Rock’ which rose to #2 in the 1984 Billboard Single Charts. George recorded it as a tribute to his wife Nancy who had helped him turn his life around, putting behind him the years of alcoholism and drug addiction.
• George Jones helped set a trend for album duet collaborations with “My Very Special Guests” bringing together a collection of artists who were admirers and peers. Perhaps the presence of Elvis Costello might have been a little surprising but he was a long-time fan and found inspiration from Jones for his country songwriting, ‘Stranger In The House’ being one of those songs. A year later he enjoyed British chart success with the George Jones hit ‘A Good Year For The Roses’.
• First time CD release for “Ladies’ Choice”.
• Both albums produced by Billy Sherrill.