3CD set charting the UK’s 1980s Garage Rock revival, otherwise known as Trash. Sixty of the finest must-have scene hits, lesser known deep cuts and underexposed nuggets.
3CD set charting the UK’s 1980s Garage Rock revival, otherwise known as Trash.
All of the key players! Including Thee Milkshakes, The Sting-Rays, The Cannibals, The Prisoners, The Barracudas, The X-Men, The Tall Boys, The Jesus And Mary Chain, The Meteors, The X-Men, The Playn Jayn and many, many more…
Sixty of the finest must-have scene hits, lesser known deep cuts and underexposed nuggets.
Produced in association with The Sting-Rays’ Alec Palao
“I was there” sleevenotes from Mike Spenser, Lenny Helsing and Vic Templar.
Remarkable ‘comic book’ design and packaging makes this a must-see, must-hear, must-have set!
Sometimes, a disparate crowd of random influences and a handful of scene-makers coalesce out of nothing, and before you know it a movement is happening. So it was in the UK in the early-to-mid- ‘80s, when an unlikely set of bands resurrected the spirit of mid-‘60s Garage Rock.
Fusing that sound with elements of the pre-Fab Four, Psych, Mod, Rockabilly and Psychobilly, and greasing the wheels of this new machine with a thick slab of post—punk sensibility, bands across the UK began to shout and holler like they hadn’t in years, capturing their work on often rough and ready recordings, issued on Big Beat, Hangman, Hit Records, Media Burn, Creation and other equally fried labels. From London, Medway and the South East to Edinburgh and beyond, the Trash movement spread, quickly reaching out into mainland Europe and beyond. Here in the UK, Trash finally enjoyed its moment in the sunshine in 1984, when four of the scene’s key bands appeared on Channel 4’s flagship music show The Tube.
Spiky, brash, loud and unfettered by delusions of grandeur, this is the sound of the post punk UK music scene looking backwards whilst moving forwards. Not for the faint-hearted, sure, and always likely to tell you where you can stick it, but this is a sound that has stuck. The garage and trash scene, albeit under different names and sprinkled with a layer of post-Millennial self-awareness, continues to thrive around the world. Wherever one finds guitars, amplifiers and the primal spirit, one finds Trash.
Packed full of rarities and collectibles – the Medway Valley and Billy Childish related material is currently particularly sought after – ‘Just A Bad Dream’ will appeal to fans of ‘80s Psychedelia, Mod Revival, Indie, Psychobilly and, of course, the ‘60s Garage Rock that influenced so many of these artists.
1. LITTLE BY LITTLE – Thee Mighty Caesars
2. SUBMARINE SONG – The Cannibals
3. NEXT TIME AROUND – The Barracudas
4. JUNE RHYME – The Sting-Rays
5. HUP TWO THREE FOUR – Sid Presley Experience
6. WHAT I WANT – The Prisoners
7. JUST A BAD DREAM – The Bugs
8. A GLIMPSE – The Green Telescope
9. WRITHING ON THE SHAGPILE – The Dentists
10. GO GORILLA – Ug And The Cavemen
11. I HEAR NOISES – The Vibes
12. THE WHOLE WORLD IS TURNING BROUCHARD! – Biff Bang Pow!
13. DRIVE ME WILD – The Aardvarks
14. GET WHAT I CAN –
The Margin Of Sanity
15. LITTLE MISS MISFIT – The Discords
16. DIRTY JEAN – The Mild Mannered Janitors
17. 125 – Blow-Up
18. STROLL ON – Auntie Vegetable
19. MR UNRELIABLE – The Inmates
20. JUST CALL ME SKY – Naz Nomad And The Nightmares
1. YOU CAN’T POLISH A TURD – Sexton Ming
2. MUNSTERS THEME – The Escalators
3. VEGETABLE MAN – The Jesus And Mary Chain
4. RIDE THIS TORPEDO – The Tall Boys
5. DON’T LET HER DARK YOUR DOOR – The Thanes
6. THE CRUSHER – Bananamen
7. TALK – The X-Men
8. I WANT THAT GIRL – Emptifish
9. I DON’T CARE – The Morticians
10. SWAMP THING – The Meteors 11. WHAT’S HAPPENING –Jasmine Minks
12. AND IN ENGLAND THEY’RE GOING MENTAL – Nutmeg
13. LIVIN’ IN MY OWN NIGHTMARE – Prime Movers
14. FEVER IN MY POCKET – The Mindreaders
15. NERVOUS BREAKDOWN – King Kurt
16. I KNOW YOU LIED – The Stayrcase
17. ONE MORE LETTER – The Daggermen
18. WAITING NATION – The Psylons 19. THE DEAD – The Wigs
20. YOUNG BLOOD (LIVE) – Thee Headcoats
1. YOU WEREN’T BORN YOU WERE CREATED (LIVE) – The Playn Jayn
2. BRAND NEW CADILLAC – Thee Milkshakes
3. DON’T BE SORRY – The Surfadelics
4. TOO FAR GONE – Marionette
5. NO GREAT SHAKES – The Beatpack
6. ROCK AND ROLL TRAITOR – The Unholy Trinity
7. HE TELLS ME HE LOVES ME – The Delmonas
8. LA JUICE – The Wolfhounds
9. GARBAGEBRAIN – Revolving Paint Dream
10. LEAVE ME ALONE –Clapham South Escalators
11. MY EMANCIPATION – The Primevals
12. SHELTER FROM THE RAIN – Change Lings
13. PLUTONIUM MIND SHOCK – The Surf Rats
14. THE CURSE – The Golden Horde
15. SO IT’S NOT TO BE – The Delmontes
16. FARMER JOHN – The Gruff Men
17. THE HELL TRAIN – The Krewmen
18. HELLHAG SHUFFLE – Sunglasses After Dark
19. RINGING IN MY EARS – The Jackals Of Fresh Kid
20. THIS IS THE END OF THE WORLD (DEMO) – The Screaming Dead