As part of its well-received and critically acclaimed anthology series, SoulMusic Records is truly proud to present “Sarah Sarah – The Anthology,” a highly satisfying retrospective of internationally-recognized recording artist, award-winning musician, songwriter and global performer Jonathan
Butler’s work from 1985-1990 for Jive Records.
Born in Cape Town, South Africa, Jonathan’s foray into music professionally began in his pre-teens when he performed in local choirs, cabaret venues and carnivals. Signed to Bullet Records as a teenager, Jonathan achieved success in South Africa with two albums (one with another teen star, Little Ronnie). After a stint with jazz-oriented band Pacific Express (during which Jonathan’s skills as a guitarist became clearly evident), at the suggestion of Jive Records’ founder Clive Caulder, Jonathan moved to London in the mid-’80s, achieving his first taste of solo international success in 1986 with ‘Baby Please Don’t Take It’, a US Adult Contemporary chartmaker.
“Sarah Sarah: The Anthology” contains all of Jonathan’s US and UK charted singles including the much-loved title track, Jonathan’s classic cover duet with Jive labelmate Ruby Turner of The Staple Singers’ ‘If You’re Ready (Come Go With Me)’, 1987’s ‘Lies’ (a global pop/R&B hit, featured here in an extended version), 1988’s ‘Take Good Care Of Me’, an extended version of the Top 10 US R&B hit, ‘There’s One Born Every Minute (I’m A Sucker For You)’ and 1989’s ‘More Than Friends’.
The anthology (compiled by David Nathan with assistance from Amar Naik) also includes a number of key album cuts from Jonathan’s five Jive albums, notably ‘Love Hurts So Bad’, making its CD debut worldwide, quiet storm favourite ‘Love Songs, Candelight And You’, a stunning duet with gospel star Vanessa Bell Armstrong on ‘True Love Never Fails’ and as a bonus, a 1999 cover of Jr. Walker’s classic ‘What Does It Take (To Win Your Love For Me)’ with acclaimed Dutch saxophonist Candy Dulfer.
Excellent notes by renowned US writer Justin Kantor include extensive quotes from Jonathan; and first class remastering (Nick Robins) and artwork (Roger Williams).
DISC ONE: HOLDING ON
1. BABY PLEASE DON’T TAKE IT (I NEED YOUR LOVE)
2. I’LL BE WAITING FOR YOUR LOVE
3. CROSSROADS REVISITED
4. HAUNTED BY YOUR LOVE
5. 7TH AVENUE SOUTH
6. LOVE HURTS SO BAD
8. GENTLE LOVE
9. SONG FOR JON
10. IF YOU’RE READY (COME GO WITH ME) – duet with Ruby Turner
11. LIES (EXTENDED VERSION)
12. TAKE GOOD CARE OF ME
13. HOLDING ON
14. I MISS YOUR LOVE TONIGHT
15. GOING HOME
16. LOVE SONGS, CANDLELIGHT AND YOU
DISC TWO: SING ME YOUR LOVE SONG
1. ONE MORE DANCE
3. SAY WE’LL BE TOGETHER
4. THERE’S ONE BORN EVERY MINUTE (I’M A SUCKER
FOR YOU) (EXTENDED VERSION)
5. MORE THAN FRIENDS
6. SARAH SARAH
7. TAKE ME HOME
8. TRUE LOVE NEVER FAILS – featuring Vanessa Bell Armstrong
10. IT’S SO HARD TO LET YOU GO
11. ALL GROWN UP
12. NO STRINGS, NO TIES
13. SING ME YOUR LOVE SONG
14. HEAL OUR LAND
15. WELCOME HOME
16. WHAT DOES IT TAKE (TO WIN YOUR LOVE FOR ME) – Candy Dulfer featuring Jonathan Butler
• As part of its acclaimed anthology series, SoulMusic Records is very proud to present “Deliver The Love – The Anthology,” - a sumptuous 2-CD homage to the late legendary vocalist, Phyllis Hyman who continues to enjoy a faithful and loyal following among discerning music lovers the world over.