Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
£19.99Released June 25, 2021.
Following the success of the first two volumes of the series I’m A Freak Baby, Grapefruit returns with a third instalment of pioneering hard rock sounds from the nascent British underground.
• Following the success of the first two volumes of the series I’m A Freak Baby, Grapefruit returns with a third instalment of pioneering hard rock sounds from the nascent British underground.
• As with its predecessors, I’m A Freak Baby 3 includes many of the acts who were synonymous with the stoner, free festival element of the English counterculture, with key tracks from such seminal underground stalwarts as Mick Farren and The Deviants, Edgar Broughton Band, Pink Fairies and Hawkwind.
• We also include musicians and bands who were honing their sound before finding huge success: the embryonic Deep Purple, the teenage Free, first album Thin Lizzy, Lemmy (fronting Sam Gopal) and a pre-fame Mott The Hoople are joined by old-stagers The Yardbirds, represented by an incendiary 1968 live version of “Dazed And Confused”, a song that Jimmy Page would take with him to his next band.
• Other bands featured have long attracted record collector interest, with the likes of May Blitz, Fuzzy Duck, Leaf Hound, Zior, N.S.U. and Ashkan all leaving behind albums that now sell for huge sums of money.
• Many of our featured bands, however, wouldn’t even get as far as attracting record company interest, with outsider acts like Wicked Lady, Grit, Stoned Rose (featuring a pre-Ultravox Chris Cross) and Bone only able to preserve their sound in rehearsal rooms or, if they could scrape together enough cash, the cheapest demo studios.
• Completed by a handful of one-shots (Mighty Hard, Distant Jim) and previously unreleased tracks, I’m A Freak Baby 3 – housed in a clamshell box, and featuring a lavish 40-page booklet – is another essential window on a burgeoning movement that would go on to establish a musical revolution. To quote the mighty Edgar Broughton Band, keep them freaks a-rollin’!
1. SUICIDE – Stray
2. FOR MAD MEN ONLY – May Blitz
3. THE MOON UPSTAIRS – Mott The Hoople
4. YOU MUST COME WITH ME – Head Machine
5. FIDO CASTROL – Killing Floor
6. PRINCE KAJUKU – U.F.O.
7. HARD TIMES – Red Dirt
8. MANDRAKE ROOT – Deep Purple
9. FAT MAN – Nazareth
10. I’M GLAD – Tear Gas
11. THIS IS MY BODY – Creepy John Thomas
12. FLAVOUR OF DECAY – Sweet Slag *
13. STONED – N.S.U.
14. SLUM LORD – The Deviants
15. TEENAGE REBEL – The Pink Fairies
16. SAVE THE LIFE OF MY CHILD – Mighty Hard
17. COSMARAMA – Distant Jim
1. WALKING IN YOUR SHADOW – Uriah Heep
2. STRANGE KIND OF MAGIC – Zior
3. NO WITCH AT ALL – Hard Stuff
4. MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE – Hawkwind
5. MAMMA’S REWARD (KEEP THEM FREAKS A-ROLLIN’) – Edgar Broughton Band
6. AFTERNOON OUT – Fuzzy Duck
7. JUNIOR’S WAILING – Steamhammer
8. DAZED AND CONFUSED (live) – The Yardbirds
9. WHY DON’T YOU LET ME TRY – Wicked Lady
10. MINESHAFT – Grit
11. YOU KNOW COULD BE RIGHT – Chicken Shack
12. MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM – Sam Gopal
13. HUNT THE STAG – Stackwaddy
14. HAMMERSMITH GUERRILLA (full version) – Third World War
15. DAY BY DAY – Stoned Rose *
16. ONE BLIND MICE – Quatermass
17. MOZART VERSUS THE REST – Episode Six
18. MEDUSA – Trapeze
* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
1. I’M A MOVER – Free
2. BORN TO BE FREE – Bram Stoker
3. HOMICIDAL SUICIDAL – Budgie
4. RETURN OF THE FARMER’S SON – Thin Lizzy
5. IT CAME ON A SUNDAY – Writing On The Wall
6. WHISKY TRAIN – Procol Harum
7. WHO WILL BUY? – Samuel Prody
8. STAGNANT POOL – Leaf Hound
9. FIRST TASTE OF LOVE – Monument
10. PRACTICALLY NEVER HAPPENS – Ashkan
11. CRUSH – Bone*
12. KEEP ON ROCKIN’ – Geordie
13. RITUAL – Warhorse
14. MYSTERIOUS LADY – Curtis Knight Zeus
15. THE JOKER (live) – Bullfrog *
16. LOOKING BACK – T2
17. SUMMERTIME BLUES – Mick Farren
18. EVIL WOMAN – Spooky Tooth
* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED