The Unmistakeable Sound of Independence since 1978 | Call to order: +44 (0)20 8996 3120
In 1965, Sonia Pottinger launched what would become one of the most successful record companies in Jamaican music history: Gay Feet.
An early indication of its long-term success was the enormous popularity of its inaugural release, ‘Every Night’ by singing duo, Joe White & Chuck, which topped the local charts throughout the latter half of the year.
Over the months that immediately followed, further 7” singles on Pottinger’s newly created imprint peppered the national listings, with their success prompting the release of aptly titled ‘Gay Feet’ LP early in 1966.
Now, after half a century, this hugely collectable album, comprising the producer’s most popular ska, jump up and R&B sides of the period, is finally made available once more, with the original dozen tracks bolstered by a further twelve mid-1960s recordings from Sonia Pottinger’s legendary catalogue.
With much of the music appearing on CD for the first time, this long overdue release is a ska collector’s dream!
1. EVERY NIGHT – Joe White & Chuck
2. 1ST SESSION – Baba Brooks
3. BY THE SEA – The Saints
4. MOSQUITO JUMP UP – Baba Brooks
5. HOLD YOUR HEAD IN FRONT – Joe White & Chuck
6. BUGLE BOY – Baba Brooks
7. FABERGE – Baba Brooks
8. HEARTACHES – The Techniques
9. WHAT MUST I SAY – Claudelle Clarke
10. PRETTY BOY – Baba Brooks
11. WHAT LOVE CAN DO – The Techniques
12. KI SALABOCA – Baba Brooks
13. THE SCRATCH – Granville Williams
14. LOLLIPOP TONIGHT – Ken Boothe & Roy Shirley
15. COCKTAILS FOR TWO – Sammy Ismay
16. KING SIZE – Baba Brooks
17. ONE NATION – Joe White & Chuck
18. LAVENDER BLUE (BLUES) – Baba Brooks
19. OPEN THE DOOR – Baba Brooks
20. BROWN EYES – The Saints
21. MAUREEN – Roy Richards
22. THE JERK – Granville Williams
23. MUSICAL SERMON – Baba Broo