The Unmistakeable Sound of Independence since 1978 | Call to order: +44 (0)20 8996 3120
BBR is very proud to bring you FRIENDS, completely re-mastered and repackaged complete with extensive liner notes and extended bonus content including a new interview with Jody Watley and a second disc of alternative versions from the US and UK single releases. FRIENDS is a must have for all R&B, SOUL, 80s POP and DISCO fans out there!
Out of stock
RE-PRESS: CD ORIGINALLY RELEASED IN 2013
• Shalamar’s Friends was one of the biggest and most celebrated classic soul albums of the 1980s. BBR is proud to present the first ever deluxe edition of the album.
• Shalamar was formed in 1977 by Dick Griffey, the booking agent for the legendary R&B TV show Soul Train, and British music producer, Simon Soussan. Initially they used faceless session musicians but when their first single, ‘Uptown Medley’ (R&B #10 / Pop #25) found chart success Griffey created a permanent group. After ‘Take That To The Bank’ (US R&B #11 / Pop #79) Shalamar’s classic line-up of Jody Watley, Jeffrey Daniel and Howard Hewitt continued to have chart success on both sides of the Atlantic with infectious pop-soul cuts like ‘The Second Time Around’ (US R&B #1 / Pop #8) and ‘Make That Move’ (US R&B #6 / Pop #60) all released on Griffey’s Solar imprint.
• In 1982 the group released their seventh studio album FRIENDS, which enhanced on the soul groove sound that had brought the group previous success. The opening track and lead US single from the album ‘A Night To Remember’ (US R&B #8 / Pop #44) became an instant R&B classic. The second single in the US was the album closer ‘I Can Make You Feel Good’ (US R&B #33 / Pop #102), another classic mid-tempo R&B dancer that does exactly as it suggests.
• FRIENDS enjoyed massive popularity and unprecedented chart success in the UK, becoming one of the biggest selling alums of the year. FRIENDS peaked at #6 on the UK album chart during an incredible 72-week run. The four singles for the UK market, ‘I Can Make You Feel Good’, ‘A Night To Remember’, ‘There It Is’ and ‘Friends’ reached #7, #5, #5 and #12 respectively on the UK singles chart helping Shalamar retain huge popularity to this day. Jeffrey Daniel introduced body popping and the back slide (later renamed the moon walk by Daniel’s student, Michael Jackson) to UK TV audiences on Top Of The Pops in July of 1982 when promoting ‘A Night to Remember’.
• BBR is very proud to bring you FRIENDS, completely re-mastered and repackaged complete with extensive liner notes and extended bonus content including a new interview with Jody Watley and a second disc of alternative versions from the US and UK single releases. FRIENDS is a must have for all R&B, SOUL, 80s POP and DISCO fans out there!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.