Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
CLASSIC MOTOWN ON BIG BREAK RECORDS
• Stephanie Mills was a native New Yorker having been born and brought up in the borough of Brooklyn. She first tasted success as a singer at the age of 9, winning the famed Apollo Theatre’s amateur hour several weeks in a row, which opened the doors to Broadway as a cast member in “Maggie Flynn” and as opening act for The Isley Brothers. Mills big break came in 1975 when she landed the lead role of Dorothy in the critically acclaimed Broadway musical “The Wiz,” based on The Wizard Of Oz. Jermaine Jackson was suitably impressed and was instrumental in helping her get signed to Motown Records to record her second album after “Movin’ In The Right Direction” on ABC records in 1974.
• FOR THE FIRST TIME saw Mills team up with legendary song writing, arranging and production duo Burt Bacharach and Hal David, ironically for the last time they would work on the same project together. Given the medium in which she came to prominence the classic standards of Bacharach and David were perfectly suited to Mills theatrical voice as she performs the collection with effortless ease, running the full gamut of emotions alongside the understated and beautifully orchestrated contemporary arrangements. Mills talents come to the fore on tracks such as ‘I Took My Strength From You,’ ‘No One Remembers My Name’ and the single ‘This Empty Place.’
• Alongside FOR THE FIRST TIME Mills 1982 album ‘Love Has Lifted Me,’ (recordings from later Motown sessions that were held back) appears as the bonus tracks on this release. BBR is very proud to present FOR THE FIRST TIME, expertly remastered and complete with extensive liner notes and bonus tracks. Essential listening for all R&B, Soul, Pop and Quiet Storm fans.
1. I TOOK MY STRENGTH FROM YOU
2. LIVING ON PLASTIC
3. NO ONE REMEMBERS MY NAME
4. IF YOU CAN LEARN HOW TO CRY
5. LONELINESS REMEMBERS (WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS)
6. THIS EMPTY PLACE
7. THE WAY I FEEL ABOUT YOU
8. I SEE YOU FOR THE FIRST TIME
9. ALL THE WAY TO PARADISE
10. PLEASE LET GO
11. LOVE HAS LIFTED ME
12. LOVE IS EVERYWHERE
13. I DON’T WANT TO BE REMINDED
14. YOU ARE THE MELODY OF MY LIFE
15. I HOPE WE DON’T RUN OUT OF MUSIC
16. THE KINGDOM WITHIN EVERYONE
17. THIS SIMPLE MASTERPIECE
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.