Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time with a quick turnaround! Shop now... Dismiss
Escape in Time comprises musical themes from some of the most extraordinary and enduring British television programmes of the 1960s
• Escape in Time comprises musical themes from some of the most extraordinary and enduring British television programmes of the 1960s
• This was an exciting period of innovation, when the medium was thrillingly new and malleable, before television’s artistic boundaries, its aesthetic criteria, had been established.
• Adventure series like The Avengers, Danger Man, The Saint and The Prisoner came both to symbolise the 1960s and reflect its preoccupations… affluence, espionage, the sexual revolution. Patrick McGoohan’s monumental political allegory, The Prisoner brought subversion and surrealism into the home in breath-taking fantasy style which continues to speak to us.
• Remarkably, some aspects of the Prisoner were actually anticipated by Anthony Newley’s avant-garde comic odyssey, The Strange World of Gurney Slade, another ground-breaking production that created an indelible impression upon anyone who saw it.
• The Avengers also became a British TV institution, evolving through the first half of the decade from film noir detective drama to a series that came to mirror the very sixties interactions between modernity and tradition. Johny Dankworth’s suitably dapper original theme is included here, along with Edwin Astley’s raucous music for Danger Man and The Saint, alongside such singular motifs as Juke Box Jury, What The Papers Say, Monty Python’s Flying Circus and Geoff Love’s adaptation of Eric Spear’s theme – originally entitled Lancashire Blues – for Coronation Street.
N.B: This title is released 20th November 2015 and will not be dispatched before this date.
1. THE AVENGERS – Johnny Dankworth
2. DANGER MAN THEME – Red Price Combo
3. DATELINE LONDON (CUTTY SARK) – The John Barry Seven & Orchestra
4. JUKE BOX JURY (HIT & MISS) – The John Barry Seven Plus Four
5. FIREBALL XL5 (I WISH I WAS A SPACEMAN) – Don Spencer
6. THE STRANGE WORLD OF GURNEY SLADE (GURNEY SLADE) – Max Harris
7. THE STRANGE WORLD OF GURNEY SLADE (HAT AND CANE) – Max Harris
8. THE SAINT – The Les Reed Brass
9. STEPTOE & SON (OLD NED) – Ron Grainer
10. THEME FROM ‘Z’ CARS – Johnny Keating & His Orchestra
11. CORONATION STREET – Geoff Love & His Orchestra
12. WHAT THE PAPERS SAY – London Philharmonic / Malcolm Arnold
13. MONTY PYTHON’S FLYING CIRCUS (LIBERTY BELL – MARCH) – Frederick Fennell
14. MAIGRET THEME – Ron Grainer
15. COMEDY PLAYHOUSE (HAPPY JOE) – Ron Grainer
16. DR FINLAY’S CASEBOOK (MARCH FROM A LITTLE SUITE) – Trevor Duncan
17. ANIMAL MAGIC (LAS VEGAS) – Group Forty Orchestra
18. ITN NEWS (NON STOP) – L’Orchestra Deveraux
19. TOP OF THE FORM (MARCHING STRINGS) – Ray Martin & His Concert Orchestra
20. GRANDSTAND (NEWS SCOOP) – The Symphonia Orchestra
21. SIR FRANCIS DRAKE – Ivor Slaney & His Orchestra
22. FACE TO FACE (LES FRANCS-JUGES OVERTURE OP.3 HECTOR BERLIOZ – Frank Chacksfield
23. TUESDAY RENDEZVOUS (CHINA DOLL) – Bert Weedon
24. MONITOR (SERENADE FOR STRINGS, OP. 11 – MARCIA) – Dag Weren
INCIDENTAL MUSIC FROM THE PRISONER
25. MOON LULLABY – Queen’s Hall Light Orchestra (Mark Lubbock) (Arrival)
26. PARTY DRESS – The Telecast Orchestra (Tony Tamburello) (Arrival)
27. THE AWKWARD SQUAD – New Era Symphonic Orchestra (Philip Green) (Chimes of Big Ben)
28. SPACEWAYS – Melodi Light Orchestra (Jack Beaver) (Chimes of Big Ben)
29. ZERO MINUS SIXTY – Melodi Light Orchestra (Robert Farnon) (Chimes of Big Ben)
30. MINUET IN F – Queen’s Hall Light Orchestra (Sinclair Logan) (Checkmate)
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.