CTI Records is one of the coolest Jazz labels ever.
Robinsongs brings you perhaps the definitive round up of cool tracks to be released by CTI Records and affiliated label Kudu on a Double CD.
“Cool Heat – The Best Of CTI Records” includes all the full length album versions of the hits by the likes of Deodato ‘Also Sprach Zarathustra’ better known as 2001 A Space Odyssey, ‘Could Heaven Ever Be Like This’ by Idris Muhammad, ‘What A Difference A Day Makes’ by Esther Phillips and ‘Jaws’ by Lalo Schifrin. Plus, the much sought after George “Bad” Benson single ‘Supership’.
You will also find some great album cuts by the likes of Kenny Burrell, Freddie Hubbard, Joe Farrell & Stanley Turrentine.
Nina Simone’s ‘Baltimore’ the Randy Newman penned Reggae influenced protest song is also included in this fantastic package.
Check out Lonnie Smith’s ‘Mama Wailer’ from his only CTI album of the same name, you won’t be disappointed.
Also, you get the added bonus of Deodato’s disco infused ‘Super Strut’ and the haunting ‘Home Is Where The Hatred Is’ by Esther Phillips.
This package also includes liner notes from MOJO & Record Collector journalist Charles Waring.
1. ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA – Deodato
2. JAWS – Lalo Schifrin
3. WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES – Esther Phillips
4. COULD HEAVEN EVER BE LIKE THIS – Idris Muhammad
5. KNUCKLEHEAD – Grover Washington Jr.
6. SHOOGIE WANNA BOOGIE – Dave Matthews
7. GRAND PRIX – Fuse One
8. THE CHICAGO THEME (LOVE LOOP) – Hubert Laws
9. BARRETA’S THEME (KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE SPARROW) – Ron Carter
10. BREAKOUT – Johnny Hammond
11. WILDFLOWER – Hank Crawford
12. MAMA WAILER – Lonnie Smith
13. SAY YOU LOVE ME – Patti Austin
1. SUPERSHIP – George “Bad” Benson
2. BALTIMORE – Nina Simone
3. FOLLOW YOUR HEART – Joe Farrell
4. BE YOURSELF – Kenny Burrell
5. FORECAST – Eric Gale
6. POLAR AC – Freddie Hubbard
7. FLUTE SONG – George Benson & Joe Farrell
8. IT’S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME – Gabor Szabo
9. SUGAR – Stanley Turrentine
10. RED CLAY – Freddie Hubbard
11. SUPER STRUT – Deodato
12. HOME IS WHERE THE HATRED IS – Esther Phillips