• 22 track history of the origins of electronica in the UK
• Highlights of 2016’s critically acclaimed 4CD release
• Original CD release voted #3 in Uncut’s ‘Reissues Of The Year 2016’, #2 in The Quietus’ ‘Compilations Of The Year 2016’ and included in Record Collector’s ‘Reissues Of The Year’.
• CD release received 4 and 5 star reviews across the international music press
• Gatefold sleeve with artist sleeve-notes and original essay by Dave Henderson
• 22 tracks of vinyl friendly early electro-pop, ambient and experimental and proto-techno
• Part primitive rave, part synthesiser porn, part history lesson!
Following last year’s brilliantly received 4CD set exploring the origins of electronica in the UK, we present this 2LP edition featuring key tracks specifically selected for their suitability to vinyl listening.
Enthralled by the mysterious electronics of Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Gong and German Kosmische artists, and inspired by the DIY ethos of punk, a quiet revolution took place across the UK in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The rise of the microchip and the advent of affordable synthesisers liberated countless artists for whom guitars, drums and bass had become old hat, and in grubby bedsits, unremarkable living rooms and art school halls across Britain, UK electronica was born. The underground, fuelled by cassette exchanges, co-operative vinyl compilations and a thriving mail order network, quickly began to stretch the boundaries of sonic experimentation.
Close To The Noise Floor explores every corner of this fascinating and often overlooked chapter in UK musical history. Entirely free from safety pins and hair dye, but always experimental, explorative, unusual and thrilling, this is the story of a mild-mannered, post-punk revolution long under appreciated.
And who better to tell this story than the artists themselves…. Close To The Noise Floor features artist written sleevenotes, extracts from Dave Henderson’s legendary 1983 Wild Planet overview of the entire scene and an introductory essay from Mr Henderson himself.
*** Pre-order before 1st September to receive a free, exclusive A3 retail campaign poster ***Esoteric Antenna are delighted to announce the release of the excellent new album by the legendary VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR. Mastered and cut at Abbey Road studios, this 180 gram vinyl release of “Do Not Disturb” is limited. Also available on CD here.