The Unmistakeable Sound of Independence since 1978 | Call to order: +44 (0)20 8996 3120
SoulMusic Records is proud to present “Got To Be Real: The Columbia Anthology,” a 31-track 2-CD retrospective drawn from the six albums recorded by much-loved singer/songwriter Cheryl Lynn between 1978-1985 along with three recordings featuring her soulful distinctive vocals as a special guest.
Out of stock
• SoulMusic Records is proud to present “Got To Be Real: The Columbia Anthology,” a 31-track 2-CD retrospective drawn from the six albums recorded by much-loved singer/songwriter Cheryl Lynn between 1978-1985 along with three recordings featuring her soulful distinctive vocals as a special guest.
• When CBS Records signed Los Angeles-born Cheryl in 1977, it was hot on the heels of her powerhouse performance on ‘The Gong Show,’ a then-popular US television talent contest; at 21, she reluctantly entered the contest, only to emerge as the clear winner. A bidding war among major US record labels ensued and after she opted for a deal with CBS, Cheryl was paired with the production team of Marty and David Paich. The result was Cheryl’s self-titled Columbia certified gold debut album for which Cheryl co-wrote five songs including the now-classic ‘Got To Be Real’.
• With further chart success via ‘Star Love’ and as a special guest on Toto’s memorable hit, ‘Georgy Porgy’, Cheryl’s recording career moved into high gear. This 2019 compilation of some of her finest work features Cheryl’s twelve subsequent US charted singles, including ‘Shake It Up Tonight’ (from the Ray Parker Jr.-produced 1981 LP, “In The Night”); ‘If This World Were Mine’, Cheryl’s sumptuous duet with Luther Vandross (who produced her 1982 LP, “Instant Love”); the Jam & Lewis-produced US R&B chart topper ‘Encore’ (from the1984 LP, “Preppie”); and 1985’s ‘At Last You’re Mine’, from the movie Heavenly Bodies.
• Also included here are key cuts from Cheryl’s 1979 sophomore LP, “In Love” (produced by Barry Blue) and her 1985 swansong set, “It’s Gonna Be Right” and Cheryl’s haunting performance on famed jazz flautist Hubert Laws’ 1982 recording, ‘Goodbye For Now’.
• With stellar liner notes by renowned US writer, Janine Coveney, first class mastering by Nick Robbins and great artwork from Roger Williams, this musically-satisfying compilation showcases Cheryl Lynn’s dexterity as a multi-talented songwriter and producer and as an acclaimed dance music diva, groove-maker and balladeer of the highest order.
DISC ONE: STAR LOVE
1. GEORGY PORGY – Toto (featuring Cheryl Lynn)
2. GOT TO BE REAL
3. ALL MY LOVIN’
4. STAR LOVE
5. YOU SAVED MY DAY (SPECIAL VERSION)
6. YOU’RE THE ONE
7. COME IN FROM THE RAIN
8. IN LOVE (7” SINGLE VERSION)
10. I’VE GOT FAITH IN YOU
11. KEEP IT HOT
12. SHAKE IT UP TONIGHT
13. SHOW YOU HOW
14. IN THE NIGHT
15. IF YOU’LL BE TRUE TO ME
16. WHAT’S ON YOUR MIND
DISC TWO: IF THIS WORLD WERE MINE
1. INSTANT LOVE
2. LOOK BEFORE YOUR LEAP
3. I JUST WANNA BE YOUR FANTASY
4. DAY AFTER DAY
5. GOODBYE FOR NOW (THEME FROM “REDS”) – Hubert Laws (featuring Cheryl Lynn)
6. THIS TIME
7. ENCORE (DANCE VERSION)
8. CHANGE THE CHANNEL
9. PREPPIE (12” VERSION)
11. FIDELITY (SPECIAL VERSION)
12. FADE TO BLACK
14. AT LAST YOU’RE MINE (From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack “Heavenly Bodies”)
15. IF THIS WORLD WERE MINE (featuring Luther Vandross)