The Unmistakeable Sound of Independence since 1978 | Call to order: +44 (0)20 8996 3120
RE-PRESS: CD ORIGINALLY RELEASED IN 2016
• Back in May/June 1986, the New Musical Express released their latest mail-order cassette, C86. Aside from a few ‘name’ indie bands (The Pastels, Primal Scream, the Wedding Present), most acts were relatively unknown beyond the back pages and gig listings of the weekly music press. Nevertheless, C86 slowly sold an estimated 40,000 copies, and would come to embody a whole musical style and era.
• In 2014, Cherry Red reissued C86 as a deluxe expanded edition, adding 50 bonus tracks to the original 22. The box set was curated by original compiler Neil Taylor and had the endorsement of the NME. And once again, the package was extremely well-received and sold handsomely.
• To expand on the huge success of C86, here is the natural sequel: C87! Imagine if the NME had reconvened a year on from their original compilation? Well, that’s the inspiration for another 70+ tracks, ranging from well-known Indie names to obscurities making their debut on CD.
• None of the selections on C87 had been available on any of Cherry Red’s recent compilations (e.g. Scared To Get Happy). All tracks were recorded and/or released in the year or so following C86 (i.e. summer 1986 to the end of 1987).
• Disc One boasts bands whose first recordings were made in 1986/87. Some of them – The House Of Love, The Shamen, The Darling Buds, The Inspiral Carpets, Cud, etc. – later enjoyed chart success. Others have since enjoyed cult status. Examples include Kitchens Of Distinction, whose debut B-side ‘Escape!’ appears here for the first time; The Boy Hairdressers, who would soon evolve into Teenage Fanclub; The Vaselines, who were covered by Nirvana; and The Sea Urchins, who christened Sarah Records with the classic ‘Pristine Christine’.
• Discs Two and Three revisit many of the bands who graced the original C86 cassette, checking in on later recordings by the likes of The Bodines, The Wedding Present, Miaow, The Servants, The Wolfhounds, Mighty Mighty and McCarthy.
• The original C86 cassette also boasted a clutch of recordings of a more angular, abrasive nature from the Ron Johnson stable. These more ‘difficult’ bands are congregated early on Disc 3.
• Once again, original C86 compiler Neil Taylor has contributed exhaustive sleeve-notes, with a substantial booklet featuring period illustrations of original record sleeves, flyers, fanzines, photos, etc.
1. THE SEA URCHINS – Pristine Christine
2. THE HOUSE OF LOVE – Real Animal
3. THIS POISON! – Poised Over The Pause Button
4. THE VASELINES – Son Of A Gun
5. THE WONDER STUFF – It’s Not True…
6. THE HEART THROBS – I, The Jury
7. THE CLOUDS – Get Out Of My Dream
8. CUD – Mind The Gap (Demo) *
9. THE SHAMEN – Young Till Yesterday
10. THE DARLING BUDS – Spin (Flexidisc Version)
11. KITCHENS OF DISTINCTION -Escape!
12. THE BOY HAIRDRESSERS – Golden Shower
13. THE GREAT LEAP FORWARD – My Grandfather’s Cluck
14. THE INSPIRAL CARPETS – Now You’re Gone (Demo)
15. THE BACHELOR PAD – Albert Hofmann
16. THE NIVENS – Room Without A View
17. THE FLATMATES – I Could Be In Heaven
18. BLOW-UP – Good For Me
19. THE MOTORCYCLE BOY – Big Rock Candy Mountain
20. THE RAW HERBS – Old Joe
21. ROTE KAPELLE – These Animals Are Dangeroos
22. BOB – What A Performance
23. THE SUBMARINES – Grey Skies Blue
24. HANGMAN’S BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS – Don’t Ask My Name
25. THE WALTONES – Downhill
26. I, LUDICROUS – My Baby’s Got Jet Lag
* PREVIOUSLY UNISSUED
1. ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS – Please Don’t Sandblast My House
2. THE WEDDING PRESENT – My Favourite Dress
3. LAUGH – Paul McCartney
4. THE SOUP DRAGONS – Hang Ten!
5. THE PRIMITIVES – We Found A Way To The Sun
6. THE WOLFHOUNDS – The Anti-Midas Touch
7. BIFF BANG POW! – In A Mourning Town
8. THE BODINES – Clear
9. TALULAH GOSH – Talulah Gosh
10. MIGHTY MIGHTY – Built Like A Car
11. POP WILL EAT ITSELF – Sweet Sweet Pie
12. McCARTHY – Frans Hals
13. THE CHESTERFIELDS – Ask Johnny Dee
14. MIAOW – When It All Comes Down
15. RAZORCUTS – I Heard You The First Time
16. DAVID WESTLAKE – The Word Around Town
17. GOL GAPPAS – Saint Lucy
18. THE RAILWAY CHILDREN – Brighter
19. BMX BANDITS – The Day Before Tomorrow
20. A HOUSE – Kick Me Again Jesus
21. THE GROOVE FARM – Couldn’t Get To Sleep
22. BRILLIANT CORNERS – Please Please Please
23. BABY LEMONADE – Secret Goldfish
24. THE CORN DOLLIES – Forever Steven
25. ROSEMARY’S CHILDREN – Southern Fields
1. DOG FACED HERMANS – Catbrain Walk
2. STUMP – Tupperware Stripper
3. GAYE BYKERS ON ACID – Everything’s Groovy
4. BOG-SHED – Tried And Tested Public Speaker
5. A WITNESS – Red Snake
6. MACKENZIES – New Breed
7. THE SHRUBS – Edith
8. STITCHED-BACK FOOT AIRMAN – Tears In The Gutter
9. 14 ICED BEARS – Like A Dolphin
10. JESSE GARON & THE DESPERADOES – I’m Up Here
11. THE DESERT WOLVES – Love Scattered Lives
12. THE SIDDELEYS – What Went Wrong This Time?
13. THE WEATHER PROPHETS – In My Room
14. THE WISHING STONES – Beat Girl
15. THE CARETAKER RACE – Man Overboard (Demo)
16. THE DENTISTS – Just Like Oliver Reed
17. JAMIE WEDNESDAY – We Three Kings Of Orient Aren’t
18. PHIL WILSON – 10 Miles
19. EAST VILLAGE – Her Father’s Son
20. YEAH JAZZ – Sharon
21. THE ROSEHIPS – So Naïve
22. THE HEPBURNS – Made Up
23. EMILY – The Old Stone Bridge