• With 100 million records sold, the Ventures are easily the most commercially successful instrumental group of all time. They are an institution in both America and Japan and if their popularity in the United Kingdom is more modest, this is only because Britain had in the early 1960s its own generation of guitar combos in the Shadows and the Tornados.
• The song that started the Ventures phenomenon was their arrangement of ‘Walk, Don’t Run.’ The group were in awe of Chet Atkins and were inspired to adapt his slightly baroque interpretation of the Johnny Smith composition. The hit brought the Ventures to national prominence and began a career of five decades and more, which has seen the release of over 250 albums worldwide.
• Founded in Tacoma, Washington in 1958, the Ventures made a significant contribution to the surf music scene which unfolded between 1961-63. They were a revelation then, their style and humour continues to speak to us today.
• The 1962 long-player, Beach Party is undoubtedly one of the finest and most coherent of all original 1960s Ventures concept albums and is the centrepiece of this anthology of their early years. Our edition comprises selections from each of their first nine albums and some rare single-only releases (including Part One of Mel Taylor’s 2,000 Pound Bee on which a fuzz tone / distortion box was used for the first time), all complimented by the addition of the historic Johnny Smith and Chet Atkins recordings of the seminal ‘Walk, Don’t Run.’
2. GRAVY (FOR MY MASHED POTATOES)
3. HERNANDO’S HIDEAWAY
4. MASHED POTATO TIME
6. HOT SUMMER (ASIAN MASHED)
7. POISON IVY
8. THE WAH-WATUSI
9. INSTANT MASHED
11. (BABY) HULLY GULLY
16. GREEN ONIONS
17. THEME FROM COME SEPTEMBER
19. THE INTRUDER
20. LOLITA YA-YA
21. DRIVING GUITARS (VENTURES TWIST)
23. BESAME MUCHO
24. SILVER CITY
25. BLUE MOON
29. WALK, DON’T RUN
30. 2,000 POUND BEE (PART 1)
31. 2,000 POUND BEE (PART 2)
33. WALK, DON’T RUN – Johnny Smith
34. WALK, DON’T RUN – Chet Atkins
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.