Our mail order service is still open for business and we can still deliver on time in the majority of cases. Please be aware that due to the global pandemic, some delivery services may be experiencing a slight delay! Dismiss
£19.99Released June 25, 2021.
Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the next release in their series of compilations celebrating the so-called “underground” rock music – “Banquet – Underground Sounds of 1969”, is a 3CD clamshell boxed set which gathers together nearly four hours of music from 1969, a year that saw a huge progression in both musically and socially.
• NEW 3 CD RE-MASTERED CLAMSHELL VARIOUS ARTISTS BOXED SET CELEBRATING THE FINEST MUSICAL SOUNDS OF THE SO-CALLED BRITISH “UNDERGROUND” ROCK MUSIC OF 1969
• FEATURING TRACKS BY DEEP PURPLE, JETHRO TULL, BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST, SPOOKY TOOTH, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, COLOSSEUM, EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND, PROCOL HARUM, GENESIS, JEFF BECK GROUP, JACK BRUCE, TASTE, EAST OF EDEN, MANFRED MANN CHAPTER THREE, KEVIN AYERS & MANY MORE
• INCLUDES AN ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET WITH ESSAY BY MARK POWELL
Esoteric Recordings are pleased to announce the next release in their series of compilations celebrating the so-called “underground” rock music – “Banquet – Underground Sounds of 1969”, is a 3CD clamshell boxed set which gathers together nearly four hours of music from 1969, a year that saw a huge progression in both musically and socially. It was a fine year for creativity in British album-based rock, embraced by the emerging counter-culture. Musical stylistic influences such as psychedelia jazz, blues, hard rock, folk and even classical music melded, all of which championed by “underground” figures of the day such as DJ John Peel on his BBC Radio One show Top Gear and by publications such as International Times and Oz.
The common thread among all of these artists was an emphasis on experimentation and a desire to push the perceived boundaries of popular music. It was also a year that would see the birth of “progressive” record labels such as EMI’s Harvest and Phillips Records’ Vertigo imprints, both aiming to mimic the success that independent labels such as Island Records had achieved and it was the year when the “sampler” compilation albums such as “You Can All Join In”, “Nice Enough to Eat”, “Gutbucket”, “Son of Gutbucket” and “Wowie Zowie! – The World of Progressive Music” left a lasting impression on the album buying audience.
1969 also saw bands that would go on to achieve success and influence in the 1970s such as Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, Barclay James Harvest, Edgar Broughton Band, Free, Family, Genesis, Strawbs, Van Der Graaf Generator, Man and Yes begin their rise to prominence.
Aside from featuring better known acts such as Jack Bruce, Thunderclap Newman, Procol Harum, Moody Blues, Taste, Fairport Convention, Colosseum, Michael Chapman and The Jeff Beck Group, this compilation also features lesser-known acts that produced fine work of a wide breadth such as Eyes of Blue, East of Eden, Blodwyn Pig, Locomotive, Mighty Baby, Pete Brown and The Deviants.
This collection celebrates a creative period when rock music was evolving into something altogether more serious, moving away from the single as medium to give way to the dominance of the album. Open your ears to “Banquet – Underground Sounds of 1969”.
1. BEYOND AND BEFORE – Yes
2. IN THE BEGINNING – Genesis
3. AFTERWARDS – Van Der Graaf Generator
4. NORTHERN HEMISPHERE – East Of Eden
5. ALL NIGHT DRINKER – Fat Mattress
6. THE FUTURE HIDES ITS FACE – Man
7. AFTER THE WAR – Eyes Of Blue
8. MR. ARMAGEDDON (SINGLE VERSION) – Locomotive
9. POOR WAGES – Barclay James Harvest
10. MEET ON THE LEDGE – Fairport Convention
11. WHERE IS THIS DREAM OF YOUR YOUTH? – Strawbs
12. SHIELD – Deep Purple
13. EGYPTIAN TOMB – Mighty Baby
14. THE WEEK LOOKED GOOD ON PAPER – Pete Brown & His Battered Ornaments
15. BAD SCENE – Ten Years After
16. BORN ON THE WRONG SIDE OF TIME – Taste
17. BILLY THE MONSTER – The Deviants
18. MAGICIAN IN THE MOUNTAIN – Sunforest
1. WALKING IN THE PARK – Colosseum
2. OH WELL (PART ONE) – Fleetwood Mac
3. HOUSE WITHOUT WINDOWS – Mighty Baby
4. AUSTIN OSMANSPARE – Bulldog Breed
5. BETTER BY YOU, BETTER THAN ME – Spooky Tooth
6. NEVER TELL YOUR MOTHER SHE’S OUT OF TUNE – Jack Bruce
7. TROUBLE ON DOUBLE TIME – Free
8. A NEW DAY YESTERDAY – Jethro Tull
9. RICE PUDDING – The Jeff Beck Group
10. A SALTY DOG – Procol Harum
11. BROTHER THRUSH – Barclay James Harvest
12. A SAILOR’S LIFE – Fairport Convention
13. BANQUET – Audience
14. GYPSY – Moody Blues
15. PAINT IT BLACK – Jody Grind
16. RAINMAKER – Michael Chapman
17. NO MULE’S FOOL – Family
1. EVIL – Edgar Broughton Band
2. THE LADY RACHEL – Kevin Ayers
3. CHASING SHADOWS – Deep Purple
4. FLIGHT – The Climax Blues Band
5. LIVING LIFE BACKWARDS – Pete Brown & Piblokto!
6. KINGS AND QUEENS – Renaissance
7. STONE CIRCLE – Third Ear Band
8. WHO DO YOU LOVE – Juicy Lucy
9. THEME FOR AN IMAGINARY WESTERN – Jack Bruce
10. SING ME A SONG THAT I KNOW– Blodwyn Pig
11. SOMETHING IN THE AIR – Thunderclap Newman
12. ONE WAY GLASS – Manfred Mann Chapter Three
13. WALKING DOWN THEIR OUTLOOK – High Tide
14. THE KETTLE – Colosseum
15. NOTTING HILL GATE (SINGLE VERSION) – Quintessence
16. SPUNK BOX– Man
17. SURVIVAL – Yes