El Records take on ‘Pop Culture and the Classical Avante-Garde’ with a new collection out today on #NewMusicFriday! PLUS reissues from The Glitter Band and Lefty Frizzell…
• A Revolution In Sound looks at the influence of modern classical music, the avant-garde and free jazz on pop and pop culture, during the second half of the twentieth century.
• In the mid-1960s, as pop music acquired a greater sophistication and maturity, artists began to make more ambitious musical and conceptual statements. In the search for new ideas, pop began to find inspiration along the spectrum of classical music – from Stockhausen to Sibelius – and from artists who inhabited the outer reaches of jazz, drawing even on the classical music of Northern India with its roots in the antique past.
GLAMT180 THE GLITTER BAND COMPLETE SINGLES COLLECTION: 3CD DIGIPAK 3CD 21/05/22
• 3CD 57 track release that features every A and B side issued by Glam Rock legends The Glitter Band
• National Chart hits include ‘Angel Face’ (UK No.8, Germany No.8, Australia No.2), ‘Just For You’ (UK No.10, Germany No.35), ‘Let’s Get Together Again’ (UK No.8, Germany No.19), ‘Goodbye My Love’ (UK No.2, Germany No.32), ‘The Tears I Cried’ (UK No.8, Germany No.35, Australia No.5), ‘Love In The Sun’ (UK No.15) and ‘People Like You And People Like Me’ (UK No.5, Germany No.14)
• Of particular interest to collectors will be the inclusion of rare 45’s like ‘Until The Next Time’, ‘Heartbeat To Heartache’ and ‘Nothing At All’ plus the previously non CD 1989 re-workings of band anthem ‘Angel Face’. Seven rare studio tracks from the 1980’s have been added as a bonus as is the inclusion of the band’s one and only ‘In Concert’ release, the 1985 “Live At The Marquee” album.
MRLL99D LEFTY FRIZZELL SAGINAW MICHIGAN / THE SAD SIDE OF LOVE / PUTTIN’ ON 2CD 21/05/21
• There are few artists in country music more highly praised, or influential, as Lefty Frizzell. With a vocal styling often imitated but never matched, he found one of his greater advocates in Merle Haggard though musicians such as Keith Whitley, Johnny Rodriguez and Randy Travis were amongst others who also acknowledged his influence on their work.
• The son of an oil field worker, William Orville Frizzell was born in Corsicana, Texas on 31st March 1928 but raised in Dorado, Arkansas when his family moved there shortly after his birth.
• In a 25 year recording career, he gave country some of its most iconic recordings, adding a highly distinctive, vowel-bending singing style to the honky-tonk sounds of his native Texas. But with success came the demons and Lefty Frizzell was also one of the music’s most tragic figures.
Follow our Hidden Gems playlist on Spotify: