We’re all extrememly excited and hugely delighted to announce news of an amazing reissue project on the way with Mercury Rev!
Formed in Buffalo, New York, in 1989, Mercury Rev quickly grew to become leading figures in left field alternative rock. Earlier albums veered towards experimental, off-kilter psychedelia but by the end of the decade, the band had developed their own brand of serene, piano-based Americana with the acclaimed, best-selling LP Deserter’s Songs (1998).
ALL IS DREAM, the sequel to Deserter’s Songs, was originally released on V2 in 2001 in August (Europe) and September (North America) and boasted a more expansive, cinematic production than its predecessor (again courtesy of ex-member Dave Fridmann, by this time arguably the most in-demand producer in alternative US rock). The record was warmly received by critics and fans alike, enjoying higher chart positions than its predecessor (No. 11 UK, No. 17 US, Top 40 in Australia and in various European countries, etc.).
Three singles were chosen from the album in the UK: ‘Nite And Fog’, the classic opening track ‘The Dark Is Rising’ (No. 16 UK) and ‘Little Rhymes’. All Is Dream remains Mercury Rev’s highest charting album in the UK to date (and second highest in the US).
Joining the original ten-track album are a disc of B-sides, outtakes and demos (many of them previously unissued), a whole disc of hitherto unheard in-concert recordings from the accompanying tour and a French radio session (only available previously as a rare promotional CD). Highlights include the band’s unique interpretations of ‘Streets Of Laredo’ (Marty Robbins), ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ (The Beatles) and ‘I Keep A Close Watch’ (John Cale) as well as newly heard compositions such as ‘Mascara Tears’ and ‘Silver And Gold’.
This expanded edition of ALL IS DREAM is presented as a plush, hardback book containing original album lyrics, lots of visuals and new sleeve-notes by Mojo’s Keith Cameron with fresh quotes from Jonathan and Grasshopper.
We’re manufacturing just 500 expanded, exclusive copies of the our new 4-CD Hardback version of Mercury Rev’s classic 2001 album All Is Dream for release on 6th December!
The 4CD set will come housed in a wider 7” box with an exclusive 7” vinyl record featuring two previously unissued tracks – plus stacks of other fantastic extras. Endorsed by Jonathan Donoghue and Grasshopper, this bespoke edition is only available directly from our website so order your copy now to be sure you don’t miss out!
This bespoke edition includes:
• The existing commercial 4-CD hardback edition of All Is Dream.
• An exclusive 7” featuring the previously unissued tracks ‘The Brook Room’ and ‘Back Into The Sun (You’re The One)’.
• A deluxe 7” box set housing the above 4-CD.
• A hand-signed lyric sheet for ‘The Dark Is Rising’.
• Three exclusive button badges.
• A 14” x 14” poster of the original album cover.
• Three 7” prints of the artwork from the three original singles ‘Nite And Fog’, the classic opening track ‘The Dark Is Rising’ and ‘Little Rhymes’.
DISC 1: THE ALBUM
1. THE DARK IS RISING
2. TIDES OF THE MOON
4. LINCOLN’S EYES
5. NITE AND FOG
6. LITTLE RHYMES
7. A DROP IN TIME
8. YOU’RE MY QUEEN
9. SPIDERS AND FLIES
DISC 2: B-SIDES, DEMOS & OUTTAKES
1. PLANET CARAVAN (B-side)
2. STREETS OF LAREDO (B-side)
3. I KEEP A CLOSE WATCH (B-side)
4. NOCTURNE IN C# MINOR, OPUS 27, NO.1 (B-side)
5. BLUE SKIES
6. LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS (Outtake)
7. SPIDERS AND FLIES (John Peel Session)
8. GYMNOPEDIES #3 (John Peel Session)
9. MASCARA TEARS (Outtake) *
10. THE BROOK ROOM (Outtake) *
11. SILVER AND GOLD (Outtake) *
12. A DROP IN TIME (Demo)
13. WHERE THE MOUNTAINS START TO RISE (Demo) *
14. NITE AND FOG (Earliest Demo) *
15. BACK INTO THE SUN (YOU’RE THE ONE) (Outtake) *
16. A QUICK ONE AT ARTIE’S 44 (Demo) *
17. MR. MOONLIGHT WILL COME (Outtake) *
18. BOYS CHOIR (Outtake) *
19. COOL WAVES (Outtake)
20. HERCULES (Demo) *
* Previously Unissued
DISC 3: IN CONCERT
1. THE DARK IS RISING (Dublin 10/03/01)
2. TIDES OF THE MOON (Copenhagen 08/27/02)
3. CHAINS (Dallas 12/07/01)
4. NITE AND FOG (Ghent 11/07/01)
5. LINCOLN’S EYES (Lille 11/09/01)
6. THE SAW SONG (Detroit 11/23/01)
7. PLANET CARAVAN (Munch 10/23/01)
8. LITTLE RHYMES (Los Angeles 12/03/01)
9. YOU’RE MY QUEEN (Milano 04/13/02)
10. SPIDERS AND FLIES (Oslo 8/30/02)
11. HERCULES (Clermont-Ferrand 4/18/02)
12. THE JEAN GENIE (Copenhagen 08/27/02)
All tracks previously unissued
DISC 4: THE BLACK SESSIONS
1. THE FUNNY BIRD
2. TIDES OF THE MOON
3. TONITE IT SHOWS
4. LINCOLN’S EYES
5. THE SAW SONG
6. YOU’RE MY QUEEN
7. GODDESS ON A HIWAY
9. OPUS 40
10. SPIDERS AND FLIES
11. THE DARK IS RISING
All tracks previously unissued commercially – recorded live in Paris