• One of the true mainstays in the world of soul music for some decades, the late Johnnie Taylor (1934-1999) – tagged ‘The Soul Philosopher’ – created a solid legacy of recordings starting in 1963 with Sam Cooke’s SAR label through a great period of hits with Stax Records (including the classics ‘Who’s Making Love,’ ‘Jody Got Your Girl And Gone’ and ‘Cheaper To Keep Her’) before signing with Columbia Records in 1975, achieving worldwide success in 1976 with ‘Disco Lady,’ the first-ever platinum single.
• Beyond his Columbia debut "Eargasm”, Johnnie’s subsequent albums for the label included "Disco 9000” (the soundtrack for a 1977 film); his last two sets for the label, 1979’s SHE’S KILLING ME (previously only available as a rare Japanese CD) and 1980’s A NEW DAY (making its worldwide CD debut) are presented on this 2014 SoulMusic Records’ two-on-one reissue.
• Both albums featured production by both Brad Shapiro (known for his stellar work with Millie Jackson, Wilson Pickett and many others) and the late Don Davis (who masterminded Taylor’s recordings from 1968 on), Davis cutting tracks In Detroit and Shapiro in Muscle Shoals. Johnnie himself co-produced one cut, ‘I Can’t Leave Your Love Alone’ with Frank Johnson on SHE’S KILLING ME.
• While neither album achieved notable chart or sales impact at the time of release, a retrospective review of the music reveals that it is in keeping with Taylor’s smooth-yet-always-soulful approach, highlights include the 1979 album’s title track, the soulful ‘Love Account,’ ‘The Heart Break Kid’ and the standout ‘Sylvia’ (featuring soul group Enchantment on background vocals). Notes by distinguished writer Matt Bauer include quotes from producer Shapiro and others.
NB: This product is released September 15th and will not be dispatched before this date.
SHE'S KILLING ME
1. LITTLE DANCIN' QUEEN
2. PLAY SOMETHING PRETTY
3. (OOH-WEE) SHE'S KILLING ME
4. THE USERS
5. LOVE ACCOUNT
6. PULLING THE TRAIN
7. I CAN'T LEAVE YOUR LOVE ALONE
A NEW DAY
8. THE HEART BREAK KID
9. I 'D RATHER HURT MYSELF
10. I GOT THIS THING FOR YOUR LOVE
11. SIGNING OFF WITH LOVE
12. BABY LAY DOWN
13. SNEAKIN' SNEAKIN'
14. I WANNA GET INTO YOU
16. BABY DON'T HESITATE
Our Price: £10.95
Track listing as above.
· First time on CD in it’s ORIGINAL SLEEVE this was Suzi’s seventh studio album and one that earnt her a Gold Disc in Australia.
· Features the singles "Rock Hard”, "Glad All Over” and "Lipstick”, all produced by Mike Chapman, the man behind Suzi’s string of hits in the 70’s.
· In-depth liner notes by Phil Hendriks and a colourful gathering of associated picture sleeves make this an essential item for all fans of the Queen of Glam.
"Suzi Quatro is
a pioneer female rocker, who wrote the rules as she went along. No mountain too
high, no river too deep for this Detroit-born rock ‘n’ roller. She’s conquered
them all, and has continued to rock hard for nearly 50 years.”
– March 2012)
Our Price: £9.95
click to see more