• Back in 1990, youthful Manchester band NORTHSIDE
were signed amid much publicity by Tony Wilson to the legendary Factory Records
, who were then riding high on the crest of the ‘Madchester’ boom with the likes of the Happy Mondays.
charted with their very first single, the double-A-sided ‘Shall We Take A Trip
’ (with its notorious opening chant, "L… S… D”) and ‘Moody Places
’. Follow-up ‘My Rising Star
’ peaked at No. 32 in November 1990 and the band enjoyed a third consecutive Top 40 in June 1991 with ‘Take 5
’. That same month, the band’s only album, CHICKEN RHYTHMS
, reached No. 19.
• Thereafter, NORTHSIDE demo’d material for a second album but Factory Records got into financial trouble and the band eventually split up.
• Recently, however, the original line-up of NORTHSIDE have reunited for a tour: Warren "Dermo" Dermody
(Vocals), Cliff Ogier
(Bass), Timmy Walsh
(Guitar) and Paul Walsh
• SHALL WE TAKE A TRIP
boasts the band’s entire Factory output during that brief, heady period when the charts were awash with Baggy bands. Alongside a remastered edition of CHICKEN RHYTHMS are all their 7” and 12” mixes (some of them new to CD) plus a previously unreleased BBC Radio 5 session for Mark Radcliffe’s show Hit The North.
• NORTHSIDE will be supporting this release with selected tour dates around the UK.
12th April – Brixton Jamm, London
17th April - Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
18th April - The Venue, Derby
19th April - The Cross, Birmingham
24th April - The Classic Grand, Glasgow
26th April - Café Drummonds, Aberdeen
3rd May 2014 - Club Academy, Manchester
1. TAKE 5
2. WEIGHT OF AIR
3. FUNKY MUNKY
4. A CHANGE IS ON ITS WAY
5. YEAH MAN
6. TOUR DE WORLD
7. WISHFUL THINKING
8. SHALL WE TAKE A TRIP?
9. WHO'S TO BLAME
10. PRACTISE MAKES PERFECT
11. MY RISING STAR
1. SHALL WE TAKE A TRIP? (12”)
2. MOODY PLACES (12")
3. MY RISING STAR (12")
4. TAKE 5 (7”)
5. TOUR DE WORLD (Edit)
6. MOODY PLACES (7")
7. MY RISING STAR *
8. WEIGHT OF AIR *
9. MOODY PLACES *
10. A CHANGE IS ON ITS WAY *
11. MY RISING STAR (7” Instrumental)
12. WHO'S TO BLAME (Instrumental)
13. MOODY PLACES (Instrumental)
14. MY RISING STAR (12” Instrumental)
* Radio 5 Mark Radcliffe Session
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ALBUM IS RELEASED ON 19TH MAY AND PRE-ORDERS WILL NOT BE DESPATCHED BEFORE THAT DATE. TO PRE ORDER YOUR COPY CLICK ON THE 'ORDER NOW' BUTTON BELOW...
Our Price: £10.95
Track listing as above.
Man Of Letters
The first ever DVD to feature one the true enigmatic figures of alternative music's last twenty years, Momus. Throughout his recording career for Cherry Red Records and Creation Records, now stretching over twenty years, Momus has always excited and confounded in equal measure – his work always contains something different and challenging, and 'Man Of Letters' is no exception.
'Man Of Letters' was produced by Finnish director Hannu Puttonen (who has also worked with Billy Bragg and Bill Drummond), and has been described as 'not so much a documentary, but a stream of consciousness, visualizations of songs, moral discussions by Momus and companions…of whom some have a high profile in British pop culture…'
The guest appearances referred to in that description include Jarvis Cocker, Saint Etienne singer Sarah Cracknell, Ed Ball and Simon Turner. The 'Man Of Letters' DVD contains the full length version of the programme, with nearly twenty minutes of unseen footage from the original video release. The DVD will also contain a short documentary on Momus that has only previously been seen on American Cable Television.
Our Price: £12.95
click to see more
Pillows & Prayers - The DVD
2003 is a landmark year for Cherry Red Records, its twenty-fifth anniversary. As part of the celebrations we are releasing, for the first time ever on DVD, the visual accompaniment to one of the label's most recognised musical titles "Pillows & Prayers".
The original Pillows & Prayers compilation album was released in the early 1980's and went on to top the Indie Chart, spending almost a year in the top 30. To this day it is still one of the most acknowledged releases from the label.
The Pillows & Prayers video was released a few years after the album, and provides the main focus of the DVD. Many of Cherry Red's most popular acts are featured, including Everything But The Girl, Eyeless In Gaza, The Monochrome Set and the Marine Girls.
There are also three bonus tracks, not included on the original video release and featuring original promo material from Medium Medium, Eyeless In Gaza and The Monochrome Set. The bonus material also includes a fascinating interview with the people behind the original Pillows & Prayers concept, Cherry Red Records founder Iain McNay and A&R man Mike Alway, who provide a great insight into the early days of the label.
Our Price: £12.95
click to see more
Dung 4: Expanded Edition
• THE INSPIRAL CARPETS – along with the Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays – made their name as part of the whole ‘Madchester’ scene, with a string of classic singles and a lucrative line in iconic T-shirts.
• Between 1989 and 1995, the band notched up 15 hits and four Top 20 albums before disbanding. In 2003, they re-formed and have been playing sporadically ever since. In 2011, they reunited with original singer Stephen Holt and are now working on a brand new album for Cherry Red – their first for two decades.
• Back in mid-1989, after the Inspirals had launched their own Cow label, they released the mail-order cassette DUNG 4. This album’s worth of demos had been recorded around New Year’s 1987, boasting unique songs as well as versions of tracks which they later re-recorded. Dung 4 went on to sell some 8,000 copies but has never been reissued on vinyl or CD.
• Officially sanctioned by the Inspirals and remastered with help from their organist Clint Boon, Dung 4 is now expanded with the addition of four tracks from their earlier demo tape, Cow, recorded in May 1987.
• The band will be properly supporting this release with radio and press interviews, etc.
• This CD is released 28th April and will not be shipped prior to this date.
1. KEEP THE CIRCLE AROUND
2. SEEDS OF DOUBT
5. INSIDE MY HEAD
6. SUN DON'T SHINE
7. THEME FROM COW
10. GARAGE FULL OF FLOWERS
11. 96 TEARS
12. HEAD FOR THE SUN
13. NOW YOU'RE GONE
15. LOVE CAN NEVER LOSE ITS OWN
UPDATE: 16/06.2014: - Please note all signed stock has now sold out, regular version is still available.
Our Price: £9.95
click to see more
New York In The '70s
WE CURRENTLY HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF SIGNED COPIES OF THIS ALBUM AVAILABLE! ORDER NOW TO GET YOUR COPY!!
New York in the '70s- May 26th 2014.
A mythic re-imagining of the New York Rock n Roll scene 1972 - 1979.
Scene 1 – A Dorset Chalkhill, Britain 2014.
A gigantic mythical naked man awakens from thousand year kip. Chico, a messenger bird, is speaking in tongues and whispering a poem into the naked dude's chalky ear:
"Oh Little Johnny Jewel
He's so cool
He has no decision
He just trying to sell a vision”
Chico (something of a savant, bless) is reciting the lyrics to Television's seismic year zeroin classic Little Johnny Jewel.
"He's just trying to sell a vision,” repeats the messenger bird. With an ancient rumble, the nakeddude stands up to reveal his true height of 180 ft.
"I am Cerne Abbus Giant, and Tom Verlaine is my main man,” bellows the Chalk Giant. "I awaken from Dorset Hills as the seeker. The seeker of Mythic Muthafuckin' Rock n Roll. Show me the way to CBGBs in the 1970s Chico. We will bestride the Atlantic and I'll carry you on my fantastic 36 ft phallus. Climb aboard Chico.”
"Oh my,” says the bird.
Scene 2 – New York City. One year later
The Kaballistic order of OM AKA The Real Dead Boys, comprising of Alan Ginsberg, Jim Carroll, Stiv Baters, Johnny Thunders and Sid Vicious are holding an invocation, on 213 Park Avenue South. The chanting begins at 23.23pm:
Shalom Shalom - David Johanson
Shalom Shalom - John Genzale
Shalom Shalom - Jerry Nolan
Shalom Shalom - Killer Kane
Shalom Shalom - Max's Kansas City
Shalom Shalom - The Mercer Arts Centre
Shalom Shalom - Billy Murcia
Shalom Shalom - Syl Sylvain
On it goes until dawn, Shalom Shalom... Lou Reed... Shalom Shalom... Alan Vega...
Scene 3 – A press release from London, England. March 2014.
Luke Haines has made an album about the 70's Rock n Roll scene in New York City which is released on Cherry Red on Monday May 26th 2014. A mythical re-imagining of a long gone age, by a man who hails from Surrey, Southern UK. It is the third and final part of a psychedelic trilogy that began with 2011's 9 and a half psychedelic meditations onBritish Wrestling From the 1970s and early '80s. This one is for the real rock n roll animals.
Hail the Mythic
Hail the Muthafuckin'
Hail the Rock n Roll
THIS ITEM IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON 12" VINYL
1. Alan Vega Says
2. Drone City
3. NY In The '70s
4. Jim Carroll
5. Tricks N Kicks N Drugs
6. Bills Bunker
7. Doll's Forever
8. New York City Breakdown
9. Lou Reed Lou Reed
10. UK PUNK
11. Cerne Abbas Man
12. My Stars
Our Price: £9.95
click to see more
C86 – THE DELUXE EDITION (3CD Boxset)
Cherry Red is delighted to release this deluxe 3 CD boxset edition of the original iconic NME indie cassette compilation.
Curated by the same team behind last year’s award-winning 5-CD box set Scared To Get Happy, this highly anticipated reissue will be housed in a 'clamshell'-style hinged box, with a chunky booklet including a 11,500-word sleeve-note by Neil Taylor and lots of pretty pictures.
In the NME's own words...
"The album, first released on a cassette with NME in 1986, went on to inspire a generation of indie bands and features music by Primal Scream, The Pastels, Shop Assistants and The Wedding Present among many others.
Former NME writer Neil Taylor, who assisted in compiling the original 22 track album nearly 30 years ago, has written the liner notes for the reissue and helped with the curation of two bonus discs of material which will include songs exclusive to CD and some never released before including tracks by The Love Act, North of Cornwallis and Paul Groovy & The Pop Art Experience."
Here's the track list in full...
C86 – DELUXE EDITION
DISC 1 – ORIGINAL ALBUM:
1. PRIMAL SCREAM Velocity Girl
2. THE MIGHTY LEMON DROPS Happy Head
3. THE SOUP DRAGONS Pleasantly Surprised
4. THE WOLFHOUNDS Feeling So Strange Again *
5. THE BODINES Therese
6. MIGHTY MIGHTY Law
7. STUMP Buffalo *
8. BOGSHED Run To The Temple *
9. A WITNESS Sharpened Sticks
10. THE PASTELS Breaking Lines *
11. AGE OF CHANCE From Now On, This Will Be Your God *
12. SHOP ASSISTANTS It's Up to You *
13. CLOSE LOBSTERS Firestation Towers *
14. MIAOW Sport Most Royal
15. HALF MAN HALF BISCUIT
I Hate Nerys Hughes (From The Heart)
16. THE SERVANTS Transparent
17. MacKENZIES Big Jim (There's No Pubs In Heaven) *
18. BIG FLAME New Way
(Quick Wash And Brush Up With Liberation Theology) *
19. WE’VE GOT A FUZZBOX AND WE’RE GONNA USE IT
Console Me *
20. McCARTHY Celestial City *
21. THE SHRUBS Bullfighter's Bones *
22. THE WEDDING PRESENT This Boy Can Wait (A Bit Longer!)
1. THE JUNE BRIDES Just The Same
2. YEAH YEAH NOH Another Side To Mrs Quill
3. THE PRIMITIVES Lazy
4. JESSE GARON & THE DESPERADOES Splashing Along
5. THE BAND OF HOLY JOY Rosemary Smith
6. THE McTELLS Virginia M.C. *
7. B.M.X. BANDITS E102
8. ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS Like One Thousand Violins
9. THE DENTISTS Peppermint Dreams
10. THE MEMBRANES Everything’s Brilliant
11. THE WEATHER PROPHETS Worm In My Brain
12. THE BRILLIANT CORNERS Meet Me On Tuesdays
13. TALULAH GOSH I Told You So
14. PIGBROS Hedonist Hat
15. 14 ICED BEARS Inside
16. ST. CHRISTOPHER Go Ahead, Cry *
17. THE GROOVE FARM Captain Fantastic (Demo)
18. KILGORE TROUT The Peacock Nose *
19. THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN Inside Me
20. THE HIT PARADE You Didn't Love Me Then
21. THAT PETROL EMOTION Mine
22. THE TURNCOATS One Breath *
23. A RIOT OF COLOUR Skink (Flexi Version) *
24. PAUL GROOVY & THE POP ART EXPERIENCE
Tune In, Turn On, Trip Out **
25. THE RAILWAY CHILDREN Darkness And Colour
1. THE CHESTERF!ELDS Sweet Revenge
2. THE JASMINE MINKS World’s No Place
3. STITCHED-BACK FOOT AIRMAN Why *
4. RAZORCUTS Sad Kaleidoscope
5. TREEBOUND STORY I Remember *
6. THE NIGHTINGALES Part Time Moral England
7. EPISODE FOUR Strike Up Matches
8. THE AVONS Everything’s Going Right *
9. MEAT WHIPLASH Here It Comes
10. KING OF THE SLUMS Spider Psychiatry *
11. HAPPY MONDAYS Freaky Dancin’
12. BIFF BANG POW! Love’s Going Out Of Fashion
13. BLUE AEROPLANES Tolerance (Remix)
14. LAWRENCE & THE COMFORTABLE SOCIETY Heartache *
15. LAUGH Take Your Time, Yeah (Flexi Version) *
16. NORTH OF CORNWALLIS Billy Liar **
17. POP WILL EAT ITSELF Mesmerized
18. BENNY PROFANE Hang Fire *
19. GO! SERVICE Real Life
20. JANITORS Good To Be The King *
21. THE CLAIM Gullible’s Travels
22. THE AUCTIONEERS Scoop **
23. NOSEFLUTES Perfect Cockney Hard-On *
24. THE LOVE ACT Hep Clothes **
25. THE ENORMOUS ROOM I Don’t Need You *
** = previously unreleased
* = new to CD (or we think so, anyway)
triple disc deluxe edition of C86 is set to be one of the most sought
after box set releases of the year, but don't take our word for it -
here's what some of the world's most respected music blogs have to say
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS BOX SET WILL BE RELEASED ON 9TH JUNE AND PRE-ORDERS WILL NOT BE DESPATCHED BEFORE THAT DATE. TO PRE ORDER YOUR COPY CLICK ON THE 'ORDER NOW' BUTTON BELOW...
Our Price: £18.99
click to see more