• The Quiet Man was director John Ford's most cherished personal project and, quite possibly, his most beloved film.
• Starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, It is a love story (a story about an Irish-American who returns to the soft, romantic place of his birth after enduring a gritty upbringing in Pittsburgh) set famously in an impossibly beautiful west of Ireland, around Galway Bay, quite close to Ford's ancestral home, with the village of Cong in County Mayo as the primary location.
• The soundtrack combines Victor Youngs' moving orchestral score with Irish folk songs sung by Merv Griffin and Bing Crosby. As an additional feature, our edition includes three Bing Crosby tracks recorded for the film but, in the end, not used, along with selections from the album, Maureen O'Hara Sings Her Favourite Irish Songs.
• The Quiet Man took years to come to fruition. Wary of an art house film, the major studios wouldn't touch it. It was eventually financed by Republic Pictures. (who specialised in B Movies and cheapish westerns) It would be the most expensive project Republic would undertake and also its most successful by far. Released in 1952, it won the Academy Award for Best Director for John Ford, his fourth, and another for Winnie Hochs' breathtaking technicolor cinematography. It was nominated in five other categories.
• Directed by John Ford. Starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara
• Original Film Soundtrack Written and Conducted by Victor Young Songs from the film sung by Merv Griffin and Bing Crosby
• This CD is released 21st April and will not be shipped prior to this date.
1. DANAHER'S HOUSE
2. THE ISLE OF INNISFREE - Merv Griffin
3. THE HUMOUR IS ON ME NOW - Merv Griffin
4. MY MOTHER
5. GALWAY BAY - Merv Griffin
6. THE BIG FIGHT
7. THE WILD COLONIAL BOY - Merv Griffin
8. THE KERRY DANCE
9. FORLORN (MARY KATE'S LAMENT)
10. I'LL TAKE YOU HOME AGAIN, KATHLEEN (SONG) - Merv Griffin
11. I'LL TAKE YOU HOME AGAIN KATHLEEN (ORCHESTRAL)
12. MUSH MUSH MUSH TURAL I ADDY - Merv Griffin
13. THE YOUNG MAY MOON - Merv Griffin
14. ST. PATRICK'S DAY
15. THE ISLE OF INNISFREE - Bing Crosby
16. GALWAY BAY - Bing Crosby
17. I’LL TAKE YOU HOME AGAIN KATHLEEN - Bing Crosby
MAUREEN O'HARA SINGS HER FAVOURITE IRISH SONGS
(A SELECTION OF)
18. A KERRY COW
19. THE RICH MAN DIED
20. WEE HUGHIE
21. THERE WAS AN OLD WOMAN
22. THERE WAS AN OLD MAN
23. HE MOVED THROUGH THE FAIR
24. WHICH OF THEM WILL I MARRY
25. IT'S TRUE THAT THE WOMEN ARE WORSE THAN THE MEN
26. THE NEXT MARKET DAY
27. NORA LEE
28. I ONCE LOVED A BOY
29. I'M GOING TO BE MARRIED ON SUNDAY
30. COME BACK TO ERIN
Our Price: £9.95