The Avengers new CD compilation collects all of their singles for the first time and combines them with the best of their album tracks, all re-mastered from the original tapes for the first time.
• The members of The Avengers (from New Zealand) were hand-picked by their manager Ken Cooper in early 1966 – to be the resident band at his new club in Wellington, New Zealand.
• After signing with HMV Records in early 1967, and their first single came from an itinerant songwriter Chris Malcom who made up a song during an evening performance in front of an HMV A&R man. By the end of that week Chris and the group had recorded ‘Everyone’s Gonna Wonder’, which was released in October 1967 and stormed into the National Top 20.
• The Avengers’ harmony pop-psych sound soon got them noticed around the world, and ‘Everyone’s Gonna Wonder’ was released in the UK on Parlophone and Jubilee in the USA where Billboard reviewed it as a ‘Hit Pick’.
• Legendary Australian singer- songwriter Brian Cadd (then with The Groop) predicated that “the Australian public is demanding a change and this must come. I think that The Avengers from New Zealand will be this change, their musical ability is exceptional”.
• The group spent 1967-69 chalking up hit records while extensively touring, leaving behind eight singles and three albums.
• The Avengers new CD compilation collects all of their singles for the first time and combines them with the best of their album tracks, all re-mastered from the original tapes for the first time.