• Autumn 2016 marks for the fortieth anniversary of the British musical revolution that was Punk Rock, fanfared by the release of ‘Anarchy In The UK’ by the Sex Pistols and ‘New Rose’ by The Damned.
• Marking this monumental birthday, ACTION TIME VISION is the first-ever box set to document the independent punk scene, which was born with Punk and thrived outside of the major label framework.
• With 111 tracks, this longform 4-CD box set follows previous, acclaimed compilations from Cherry Red dedicated to Indie Pop (Scared To Get Happy), Shoegaze (Still In A Dream), Mod Revival (Millions Like Us), Heavy Psychedelia (I’m A Freak Baby), etc.
• The 64-page booklet includes authoritative band biogs and an insightful foreword by journalist Kris Needs (then editor of Zigzag magazine, which produced the first directory of Indie labels; he also fronted the Vice Creems).
• Many key names of Punk (The Damned, Stiff Little Fingers, The Ruts, Angelic Upstarts, 999, Skids, Sham 69, UK Subs, Cockney Rejects, The Rezillos, The Adicts, The Boys, The Lurkers, Alternative TV, Chelsea) are joined by a host of obscurities and future post-punk stars (Joy Division, Tubeway Army, Adam & The Ants).
DID YOU KNOW?
• The singer in The Killjoys was Kevin Rowland, later behind Dexys Midnight Runners.
• Simple Minds evolved out of Johnny & The Self Abusers.
• After Riff Raff, singer/songwriter Billy Bragg briefly joined the army before launching his solo career.
• Demon Preacher evolved into Goth favouries Alien Sex Fiend.
• Nipple Erectors were led by future Pogue Shane McGowan.
• The Pack would enjoy more success as Theatre Of Hate.