• 'What Lambert Hendricks & Ross did was difficult to the verge of impossibility. Indeed, the only thing that proved it possible at all is that they actually did it. And watching them - even more than just listening to them on records - gave one some of the pleasure of watching great gymnasts. And the more one knew about singing, the more amazing it was.' Gene Lees
• Our edition combines two jazz concept albums, long out of print long-players recorded in 1960 by Dave Lambert and Jon Hendricks, two of the original members of the pioneering vocalese trio Lambert Hendricks and Ross.
• Lambert and Hendricks began working together in 1955, complementing their shared interest in pushing the boundaries of vocal jazz by writing arrangements and lyrics respectively. Soon they recruited Scottish vocalist Annie Ross and in 1958 the trio released Sing A Song of Basie. The album was stupendous and took the world by storm. Melody Maker voted them the Best Vocal Group In The World five years in a row. Their work would also prove influential and Double Six, The Swingle Singers and Manhattan Transfer are amongst those that owe a debt to LHR.
• Dave Lambert's album of improvisations is a gem of particular rarity as he would die tragically on a Connecticut roadside in October 1966. Although Annie Ross had been out of the group since 1962 (replaced by Yolande Bevan) LHR would effectively die with him.
• For his work as a lyricist, jazz critic and historian Leonard Feather called Jon Hendricks the "Poet Laureate of Jazz" while Time Magazine dubbed him the "James Joyce of Jive."
• As striking as any of his musical achievements, Evolution of the Blues Song was written by Hendricks for the 1960 Monterey Jazz Festival and written on the spot. Legend has it that the performance received a twenty minute standing ovation.
• The work generated enormous interest, on the modified and augmented version that graces this edition Hendricks narrates and sings with contributions from Jimmy Witherspoon, "Big" Miller, "Pony" Poindexter, Ike Issacs and the Hannah Dean Chorus. The recording was made in Los Angeles before the revue was staged at the Broadway Theatre in San Francisco where it ran for five years.
• This CD is released 21st April and will not be shipped prior to this date.
SING AND SWING ALONG WITH DAVE LAMBERT
1. ALL ALONE
2. THE BEST THING FOR YOU
3. AUTUMN NOCTURNE
5. WE COULD MAKE SUCH BEAUTIFUL MUSIC TOGETHER
6. SHORT BLUES AROUND THE BROADWAY BRIDGE
7. LOVER COME BACK TO ME
8. YESTERDAY'S GARDENIAS
9. OVER THE WEEKEND
JON HENDRICKS – EVOLUTION OF THE BLUES SONG
13. SOME STOPPED ON DE WAY
14. SWING LOW, SWEET CHARIOT
15. NEW ORLEANS
16. IF I HAD MY SHARE
17. PLEASE SEND ME SOMEONE TO LOVE
18. SUFFERIN' BLUES
19. THAT'S ENOUGH
20. AW, GAL
21. SEE SEE RIDER
22. JUMPIN WITH SYMPHONY SID
23. SUN GONNA SHINE IN MY DOOR
24. W.P.A BLUES
25. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD
Our Price: £9.95