• In Indie circles, ST. CHRISTOPHER are an enigma, a mysterious act who made a plethora of beautiful records and yet are relatively unknown. Forevermore Starts Here seeks to rectify that!
• St. Christopher revolved around the singing and songwriting talents of Glenn Melia, who formed the band in the early 80s before creating a string of now prized pop 45s on their own Bluegrass label.
• At the end of 1988, St. Christopher signed with the iconic Sarah Records for a string of memorable singles and EPs. Subsequently, the band recorded two albums for Vinyl Japan and later enjoyed releases on such cult labels as Slumberland, Bus Stop and Elefant.
• Compiled by Glenn Melia, Forevermore Starts Here is the first proper retrospective spanning St. Christopher’s lifespan. It includes many of their early singles A’s and B’s from the mid-1980s together with tracks from their 90s albums for Vinyl Japan and beyond.
• The 2-CD set also boasts their entire output for Sarah Records (some 18 tracks). The Bristol label is the subject very soon of both a film and a book.
• The package has been assembled by the same design team behind Scared To Get Happy and C86.
NB: This product is released September 22nd and will not be dispatched before this date.
1. FOREVERMORE STARTS HERE
3. WITH HER IN MIND
4. TO THE MOUNTAIN
7. IF BLACK WAS BLUE
9. SINKING SHIPS
11. THE HUMMINGBIRD
12. AND I WONDER
13. CHEMICAL KING
15. THE LAST LAUGH
17. A MAN BEWITCHED
18. IF I COULD CAPTURE
19. MY FORTUNE
20. A CONFLICT TO BELIEVE IN
22. I WISH I HADN'T SEEN HER
23. SHE LOOKS LIKE YOU
24. ALMOST DECEMBER
25. CATHEDRAL HIGH
26. JOSEPHINE WHY?
27. YOU DESERVE MORE THAN A MAYBE
1. SAY YES TO EVERYTHING
2. EVEN THE SKY SEEMS BLUE
3. WILDEST DREAMS
4. OUR SECRET
5. SHE CAN WAIT FOREVER
6. THE KIND OF GIRL
7. THE DEVIL FROM NOWHERE
8. WHO'S NEXT (ON CUPID'S HIT LIST)?
9. A PRAYER FOR THE SEA
11. CRYSTAL CLEAR
12. IT'S SNOWING ON THE MOON
13. REMEMBER ME TO HER
14. FOR THE WORLD TO SEE
15. THE LOVE OF A SISTER
16. I CAN'T FORGET YOU
17. ALL OF A TREMBLE
20. THE SUMMER YOU LOVE
22. GO AHEAD, CRY
23. THE THRILL OF THE NEW
24. THE FIRST OR THE LAST
Our Price: £10.95
Track listing as above.
Halcyon Days - Complete Recordings 1985-1987
• Hailing from Sheffield and named after an Orange Juice lyric, ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS evolved out of indie-pop duo The Page Boys, signing to Dan Treacy’s Dreamworld label in 1985. The band revolved around songwriters Colin Gregory and Dave Walmsley, who were influenced by the best in Sixties music.
• Debut single ‘Halcyon Days’ won rave reviews and B-side ‘Like One Thousand Violins’ made John Peel’s Festive 50 that year. Second single, the more psychedelic-sounding ‘Please Don’t Sandblast My House’, made the Indie Chart in late 1986.
• Their next single, ‘Ungrateful Bastard’, was issued on German label Constrictor and still made the Indie Top 30. The label also issued two mini-LPs by the band. After a final single for Dreamworld, ‘Locked Out Of The Love-In’, ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS issued ‘If I Were A Bullet’ on Report at the end of 1987.
• Compiled with involvement from founding members Colin Gregory and John Wood, Halcyon Days offers the band’s complete recorded output from 1985 to 1987, prior to the band changing their line-up and sound. Many of these tracks are new to CD.
1. HALCYON DAYS (12” Version)
2. LIKE ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS
3. I REMEMBER WHEN EVERYBODY USED TO RIDE BIKES... NOW WE ALL DRIVE CARS
4. THE TRAGIC TALE OF DANIEL
5. PLEASE DON'T SANDBLAST MY HOUSE
6. I THINK IT'S TIME I BROKE DOWN
7. THOUGH IT POURED THE NEXT DAY I NEVER NOTICED THE RAIN
8. YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARD
9. MY BEAUTIFUL SHIRT
10. TO MAKE YOUR TEA
11. LOCKED OUT OF THE LOVE-IN
12. WHY IS IT ALWAYS DECEMBER?
13. I WAS DEPENDING ON YOU TO BE MY JESUS
14. NO ONE WAS SAVING THE WORLD
15. CANDLEMAN (Electric Intro Version)
16. IF I WERE A BULLET (THEN FOR SURE I'D FIND A WAY TO YOUR HEART)
17. POET (Long Version)
18. ALMOST DEAD & NIGH ON FORTY YEARS TO GO
19. HALCYON DAYS (Alternative Version)
20. CANDLEMAN (Acoustic Intro Version)
21. YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARD (Flexi Vsn)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ALBUM IS RELEASED ON 26TH MAY AND PRE-ORDERS WILL NOT BE DESPATCHED BEFORE THAT DATE. TO PRE ORDER YOUR COPY CLICK ON THE 'ORDER NOW' BUTTON BELOW...
Our Price: £9.95
click to see more
Heartbeats: Expanded Edition
• Cavin Yarbrough and Alisa Peoples were childhood friends from Dallas, Texas who went on to have great chart success as an R&B duo through the 1980's. While on tour as a backing vocalist with Leon Russell in the late 1970's Cavin met the Wilson Brothers from The Gap Band, who in turn introduced Cavin to their collaborator Lonnie Simmons and his Total Experience Recording Studios who produced the duos debut album and later signed them to his Total Experience label, joining The Gap Band on the roster.
• Yarbrough & Peoples second album, HEARTBEATS was released through Total Experience Records in 1983, due to producer Simmons securing a distribution deal with Polygram for his label during the previous year. Commercially Heartbeats perhaps suffered from "second album syndrome” because of the great success of debut LP "The Two Of Us” (CDBBRX0195) and the three year gap between releases. Peaking at #25 R&B the album, which also provided 2 R&B hit singles, picked up from where the debut had left off with Simmons trademark slick, mid-tempo production style.
• The first single released was the title track and album opener ‘Heartbeats.’ Charting at #10 R&B and #101 Pop ‘Heartbeats’ is an intense slice of electronic soul with a pulsing synth bass line and unwavering beat allied to progressive synth lines, vocoder vocal effects and the rhythmic phrasing of Cavin and Alisa's passionate vocals. Second single ‘Feels So Good’ peaked at #20 R&B in the spring of 1983 and is closely related to their debut hit ‘Don't Stop The Music’ with its solid mid tempo expansive groove, dynamic synth work and the response "when the music feels so good I don't wanna' stop.”
• Other stand out tracks on this superb album are the playful soul groove ‘You Love Me, You Love Me Not,’ the feel good dancer ‘Party Night’ and the more traditional, piano led R&B balled ‘What About Me’ which closes the record.
• BBR is very proud to present HEARTBEATS, expertly remastered and complete with extensive liner notes and bonus tracks. HEARTBEATS completes BBR's re-master series of all four of Yarbrough & peoples studio albums and is absolutely essential listening for all R&B, Soul, Funk and Disco fans.
NB: This product is released September 1st and will not be dispatched before this date.
2. INNERMOST FEELINGS
3. FEELS SO GOOD
4. YOU LOVE ME, YOU LOVE ME NOT
5. AS ONE
6. WHAT'S THAT YOU'VE SLIPPED INTO MY WINE
7. PARTY NIGHT
8. WHAT ABOUT ME
9. HEARTBEATS (12” Version)
10. FEELS SO GOOD (12” Version)
11. HEARTBEATS (12” Instrumental Version)
12. FEELS SO GOOD (Instrumental Version)
13. HEARTBEATS (Single Version)
14. FEELS SO GOOD (Alternative LP Version)
Our Price: £10.95
click to see more