• Hailing from Sheffield and named after an Orange Juice lyric, ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS
evolved out of indie-pop duo The Page Boys, signing to Dan Treacy’s Dreamworld label in 1985. The band revolved around songwriters Colin Gregory and Dave Walmsley, who were influenced by the best in Sixties music.
• Debut single ‘Halcyon Days’ won rave reviews and B-side ‘Like One Thousand Violins’ made John Peel’s Festive 50 that year. Second single, the more psychedelic-sounding ‘Please Don’t Sandblast My House’, made the Indie Chart in late 1986.
• Their next single, ‘Ungrateful Bastard’, was issued on German label Constrictor and still made the Indie Top 30. The label also issued two mini-LPs by the band. After a final single for Dreamworld, ‘Locked Out Of The Love-In’, ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS issued ‘If I Were A Bullet’ on Report at the end of 1987.
• Compiled with involvement from founding members Colin Gregory and John Wood, Halcyon Days offers the band’s complete recorded output from 1985 to 1987, prior to the band changing their line-up and sound. Many of these tracks are new to CD.
1. HALCYON DAYS (12” Version)
2. LIKE ONE THOUSAND VIOLINS
3. I REMEMBER WHEN EVERYBODY USED TO RIDE BIKES... NOW WE ALL DRIVE CARS
4. THE TRAGIC TALE OF DANIEL
5. PLEASE DON'T SANDBLAST MY HOUSE
6. I THINK IT'S TIME I BROKE DOWN
7. THOUGH IT POURED THE NEXT DAY I NEVER NOTICED THE RAIN
8. YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARD
9. MY BEAUTIFUL SHIRT
10. TO MAKE YOUR TEA
11. LOCKED OUT OF THE LOVE-IN
12. WHY IS IT ALWAYS DECEMBER?
13. I WAS DEPENDING ON YOU TO BE MY JESUS
14. NO ONE WAS SAVING THE WORLD
15. CANDLEMAN (Electric Intro Version)
16. IF I WERE A BULLET (THEN FOR SURE I'D FIND A WAY TO YOUR HEART)
17. POET (Long Version)
18. ALMOST DEAD & NIGH ON FORTY YEARS TO GO
19. HALCYON DAYS (Alternative Version)
20. CANDLEMAN (Acoustic Intro Version)
21. YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARD (Flexi Vsn)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ALBUM IS RELEASED ON 26TH MAY AND PRE-ORDERS WILL NOT BE DESPATCHED BEFORE THAT DATE. TO PRE ORDER YOUR COPY CLICK ON THE 'ORDER NOW' BUTTON BELOW...
Our Price: £9.95
Track listing as above.
The first reissue of this much sought after seminal album by leading 80's indie band, The Bodines.
This 17 track CD, features the 10 tracks of the original 1987 album plus
7 bonus tracks. This CD is the most definitive album available of the band's
material. This collection features versions of 5 of their singles including
"Therese" (album and extended version), "Heard It All"
(single version), Skankin Queens (album version), Slip Slide (album version)
and God Bless (live version).
The 7 bonus tracks are on CD for the first time. The bonus tracks are
Therese, Heard It All, b/side My Remarkable Mind, and four live tracks taken
from the 7" official live bootleg free with the 12" of Therese,
Clear, God Bless, William Shatner and I Feel. The CD booklet will include
comprehensive sleeve notes and a full UK discography featuring many of her original
Managed by the infamous
manager Nathan McGough, The Bodines hailed from Glossop near Manchester. The
band signed to Creation Records and released 3 singles God Bless, the follow up
Therese that also featured on the NME C86 cassette and Heard It All. The band
then signed to unfashionable Magnet Records and proceeded to release 3 singles
and the "Played" album, produced by Ian Broudie originally a member
of influential acts Big In Japan and Original Mirrors, and latterly The
Our Price: £9.95
click to see more
Pop Can! The Definitive Collection 1986 to 1988. 2CD
Mighty Mighty were a popular Indie guitar pop combo hailing
from Birmingham, who made their name as part of the so-called C86 scene
championed by the NME on their famous cassette.
Between 1986 and 1988, the band issued six singles/EP’s
and an album, all of which made the Indie Chart courtesy of their evocative mix
of naggingly hummable tunes, poignant lyrics and a musical style which
suggested a love of both The Smiths and Postcard-era Orange Juice.
After rave reviews for their first two singles, Everybody Knows The
Monkey and Is There Anyone Out There?, Mighty Mighty signed to local label
Chapter 22 (then home to Pop Will Eat Itself, etc.), eventually issuing their
sole LP Sharks in 1988.
Pop Can! (the title doesn’t appear on the sleeve, a nod to Andy Warhol
and the Velvet Underground!) is the first comprehensive compilation of Mighty
Mighty’s recordings. Previous CDs are now impossible to find!
Those singles in full:
Everybody Knows The Monkey (1986,
Girlie) Indie No.34
Is There Anyone Out There? (1986, Girlie) Indie No.14
Throwaway (1986, Chapter 22) Indie
Built Like A Car (1987, Chapter 22)
One Way (1987, Chapter 22) Indie
Maisonette (1988, Chapter 22)
The compilation boasts remastered music as well as a beautifully
annotated 16-page booklet boasting rare photos and personal memories from each
Release Date: 18/02/2013
1. EVERYBODY KNOWS THE MONKEY
3. BUILT LIKE A CAR
4. SETTLE DOWN
5. ONE WAY
6. FREEDOM OF THE CITY
8. MAN OR BOY
10. LOOSE END
11. PRECIOUS MOMENTS
12. WHEN YOU TRUSTED ME
13. LITTLE WONDER
14. THE BEST PART
15. POSITIVELY SESAME STREET
16. LOVE SO STRONG
17. I DON'T NEED YOU ANYMORE
18. NIGHT AFTER NIGHT
1. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?
3. BIDDY BAXTER
4. GEMINI SMILES
6. BLUE AND GREEN
7. KISS FOR THE CROWD
8. LET'S CALL IT LOVE
9. YOU'RE ON MY MIND
11. HOLLOW RING
12. CEILING TO THE FLOOR
13. I’LL GET YOU BACK
14. TOUCH OF THE SUN
15. I NEVER IMAGINED
18. YOURS TRULY
Our Price: £10.95
click to see more